- 11952“ The Torrid DetailsYou've probably heard the details before, but here's a quick summary: Head of the CIA and respected retired general, David Petraeus, had an affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell. Broadwell, having heard the advice that "If he cheats on his wife, he'll cheat on you," grew jealous of Petraeus's relationship with Tampa socialite Jill Kelley, and sent Kelley emails warning her to back off. Kelley asked her friend, FBI Agent Fred Humphries, to investigate the emails. His interest in the investigation was so intense that his supervisors pulled him off the case. During the FBI's investigation, flirtatious emails between Kelley and General John Allen were also uncovered.The AftermathFrustrated with his supervisors' handling of the e-mail investigation, Humphries went to a Republican Congressman about the case, which led to all of the above information becoming public and embarrassment for pretty much everyone involved. Petraeus has resigned from the CIA. Broadwell has had her security clearance revoked and computers that had classified documents on them have been removed from her home. Allen has had his promotion put on hold. Kelley has called 911 and requested diplomatic protection (she was appointed an honorary consul by South Korea, which is now reviewing that appointment). And Agent Humphries, the man who made sure this would all be public knowledge, will forever be known as Shirtless FBI Agent.„
- 21893“ The Torrid DetailsAllen Welsh Dulles is one of David Petraeus's predecessors as head of the CIA. Dulles was in charge from 1953 to 1961. Although overseeing the agency during the height of the Cold War must have kept him busy, Dulles still found the time to have scores of affairs. He probably even got together with Queen Frederika of Greece: on a 1958 visit to Washington, the queen visited Dulles's office. After they had been alone for an hour, an aide entered the office, but found it empty. The aide heard noises coming from an adjacent room, and soon witnessed the queen and Dulles emerge from said room.„The AftermathAlthough Dulles's affairs were common knowledge, and he even hooked up with a visiting head of state, there were zero repercussions for his career or his reputation. David Petraeus must go green with envy every time he thinks about this guy.
- 31876“ The Torrid DetailsMata Hari, a Dutch national who had lived in the Dutch East Indies, gained fame as an exotic dancer in France at the beginning of the 20th century. She was also a skilled courtesan who had multiple affairs and benefactors. Her travels through Europe and numerous liaisons attracted attention from British and French intelligence officials. When they learned she had accepted money from a German officer, she was accused of spying for the Germans during World War I.The AftermathMata Hari was executed by firing squad in France in 1917. Later investigation showed that the French had no actual evidence of her passing secrets to the Germans. Instead, Mata Hari may have been used as a scapegoat to cover others' intelligence leaks.„
- 4“ The Torrid DetailsWon Jeong-hwa is a North Korean woman who, in 2001, said she had escaped from North Korea's oppressive regime. After marrying and then divorcing a South Korean businessman, she had affairs with multiple army officers in South Korea, from whom she gathered information to pass back to North Korea. If you're wondering how Won managed to seduce multiple officers, one source speculates that female spies from North Korea undergo years of sex training, developing their skills in brothels and learning tricks like inserting drug-filled diaphragms to further enthrall their partners.The AftermathAlthough North Korea denied Won was a spy, she was sentenced in South Korea to five years in prison for espionage in 2008.„
- 51944“ The Torrid DetailsWhile working in China in 1964, 20-year-old French diplomat Bernard Boursicot was seduced by a Chinese national. The affair continued for years, and Boursicot later passed along secrets to Chinese officials because he believed he had to in order to keep his lover safe. However, although Boursicot believed his lover was a woman, he was in fact involved with a male Peking Opera star, Shi Pei Pu. Boursicot even thought that Shi had given birth to his child (in fact, Shi had purchased a baby on the black market).The AftermathAfter Boursicot returned to France, he managed to bring Shi and "their" child to the country as well. Boursicot and Shi were arrested in 1983, which was when a stunned Boursicot learned that Shi was, in fact, a man. They were both convicted of espionage in 1986. The episode inspired a movie and Broadway play, M. Butterfly. Sadly, it did not inspire better sex education around the world, even though if the young Boursicot had had a clue about female body parts, the whole mess might have been avoided in the first place.„
- 6“ The Torrid DetailsColombian prostitute Dania Londono is just one of the hookers that United States Secret Service Agents picked up on a trip to Colombia in April of 2012 (during which they were supposed to be preparing for the President's upcoming visit to the country). Approximately ten agents arranged for girls from brothels to attend a sex party at their Cartagena hotel. When one agent didn't want to pay what Londono thought her services were worth ($800), she got upset enough to attract the attention of the police, and the world.The AftermathSeveral agents were either suspended or chose to resign. And from now on, Secret Service trips are going to be a lot less fun. However, on the plus side, working girls around the world may find it easier to get paid full price for their services. After all, if that one agent hadn't been such a cheapskate, we never would have learned about all of these torrid details.„
- 71915“ The Torrid DetailsJohn Profumo was the Secretary of State for War in U.K. Prime Minister Harold Macmillan's Cabinet when he had an extramarital affair with Christine Keeler. The affair lasted for a few weeks; unfortunately for Profumo, Keeler was also involved with Yevgeny Ivanov, the Soviet attache in London and a rumored spy. When word of the affair leaked out after one of Keeler's boyfriends fired a gun at her door in 1962, Profumo was caught in the spotlight.The AftermathAlthough there was no indication that Profumo had passed on any classified information to Keeler, he resigned from his Cabinet position and from Parliament. Ivanov was called home to the Soviet Union. Keeler benefited the most from the notoriety, posing nude for a well-known photographic portrait.„
- 8“ The Torrid DetailsElizabeth Masamune was an Australian trade official with years of experience and the security clearance to know that Anh Ngoc Luong was suspected of working for Vietnamese intelligence. Neither of those things stopped her from sleeping with Luong, nor from encouraging an Australian bank to bribe Luong to do business with him. Luong stands accused of getting $AU20 million in bribes.„The AftermathThis scandal, like the Petraeus affair, is currently unfolding and being investigated. Presumably Luong wishes he had been a little less greedy, so as not to get caught. And though she has insisted that her job duties were not compromised by her relationship with Luong, Masamune probably regrets proving that men are not the only ones who sometimes think with an organ other than their brains.
Gerda Munsinger1929“ The Torrid DetailsEven Canada has had a spy sex scandal! In the 1950s, Soviet spy and alleged East German prostitute Gerda Munsinger slept with multiple cabinet ministers, including the associate minister of national defense.The AftermathThe cabinet ministers who had been intimate with Munsinger probably thought that their secrets were safe when she was quietly deported in 1961. Unfortunately for them, in 1966 a member of a different political party brought up the scandal in the Canadian House of Commons. The scandal consumed the media, especially when Munsinger was contacted and confirmed that she'd hooked up with multiple government officials.„
- 121924“ The Torrid DetailsWhile he was working in Moscow in 1954, Soviet spies took compromising pictures of low-level British diplomat John Vassall participating in a drunken orgy with other men. Vassall was a closeted homosexual and, given the climate at the time, he felt he had no choice but to start giving classified documents to the Soviets. His passing of information continued after he returned to Britain in 1956.The AftermathVassall was caught in 1962, after a tip from American intelligence, and served ten years in prison for his crimes.„
Markus Wolf1923“ The Torrid DetailsAn East German spymaster who wanted to keep tabs on West Germany in the 1950s, Markus Wolf came up with the idea of training handsome men to be "Romeo spies." Numerous men went into West Berlin and began using romance as a weapon, seducing women who worked for the West German government in order to get acess to state secrets.„The AftermathWhen West German authorities realized what was happening, they did a better job of tracking potential Romeo spies who came to West Berlin. Authorities also arrested several women. Three were convicted of espionage, but all of their sentences were light as the circumstances behind their betrayal were taken into consideration.
items 1 - 13 of 13
today on Ranker
start a list with results
close sorting window
use the search box to filter your list