- 13This is one of the best biopics on a jazz great that anybody might ever want to check out. The love and passion that director Charlotte Zwerin had for her subject is obvious. 90 Minutes of straight-up bliss.
- 14If you like So You Think You Can Dance or any of the hit STEP UP movies, you wanna check out these jazz-dancing originals.
- 15"Stormy Weather" is a major classic with Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, and gorgeous Lena Horne delivering sweet Golden-age Hollywood tunes for the masses.
- 16Not one of Alman's best, though it does feature a menacing turn by Harry Belafonte as a gangster, the music is outstanding...including Fathead Newman, Joshua Redman, Ron Carter, Cyrus Chestnut and many more contemporary (at least in 1996) jazz giants.
- 17Another Woody Allen film, this salute to self-aggrandizing, fictional jazz guitarist Emmet Ray is light and funny and features some killer jazz guitar songs (including a few nodes to the celebrated career of Django Reinhardt.)
- 18Rob Marshall's big-screen adaptation of the long-running stage play brings the Jazz Age to colorful new life.
think you can do better?
Rerank This List
got a blog or website?