G Options B Comments & Embed
- 1+ 53- 19The legendary baseball player missed games throughout his career for a variety of bizarre reasons including once when his protective cup pinched a testicle and when he broke his throwing hand while wrestling with his son. This only scratches the surface of the many freak injuries Ken Griffey, Jr. experienced throughout the years.
- 2+ 52- 21In a weird turn of events, baseball legend Cal Ripken Jr. busted his nose after he was accidentally hit in the face by teammate Roberto Hernandez as the Chicago White Sox were taking their team photos. Ripken, being a total boss, never missed a game and played with the broken nose.
- 3+ 40- 13MLB players like Glenallen Hill are certainly tough but that does not mean they are any match for spiders. Hill missed several games with cuts to his hands and body that he suffered when he fell out of bed and crashed into a glass table. The cause for the fall? According to Hill, he was having a nightmare about being attacked by giant monster spiders.
- 4+ 34- 11Roger Craig, a three-time World Series champion, didn't have any odd injuries during his playing career however he certainly had one after joining the San Francisco Giants as manager. Craig showed up for a game in the early 90s with an injured hand, one he said he cut while fiddling with a bra strap. Props to Craig though as he was man enough to admit how he got the injury.
- 5+ 36- 19Notable MLB pitcher John Smoltz suffered a severe burn to his chest though exactly how it happened has been up for debate. Legend has it that he was running late and rather than taking the 10 seconds to remove his wrinkled shirt before ironing it, he skipped that part and ironed it while he was wearing it, burning himself in the process. Smoltz later denied the story and said he actually put on a piping hot shirt that had just been cleaned and that's how he was burned. Both stories are pretty idiotic.
- 6+ 32- 16Nolan Ryan was easily one of the best baseball players ever but that does not make him immune from freak injuries. In 1985, Ryan was bit by a coyote and suffered an injury to his left hand. It was no wild coyote attack though, Ryan stuck his hand into a dog enclosure containing three coyotes. Who would have thought that coyotes are not friendly little animals?
- 7+ 33- 17As if being the backup goaltender for the Toronto Maple Leafs and playing the bagpipes was not embarrassing enough, Glenn Healy took it a step further. Healy suffered a serious cut to his hand and required 40 stitches while cleaning said bagpipes. Had he been more than a perennial backup, he might have missed playing time from the injury.
- 8+ 24- 14For the most part, fishing is usually only dangerous to fish, not those doing the fishing. MLB player Larry Walker changed all that when he separated his shoulder fishing in Canada. He ended up missing the beginning of the 1997 season as a result.