- 1Without the Fall, there would be no indie rock. Sonic Youth, Pavement, and just about everyone awesome cites the Fall as a huge influence. They were John Peel's favorite band-- enough said. (If you don't know who John Peel is, you have no hope of getting hipster booty.)BUY @ AMAZON
The discography is huge, so go with the two generally accepted best albums: Hex Enduction Hour and Perverted By Language, and one recent album, The Real New Fall LP.
If he or she is a misanthropic, political, intellectual rock and roll snob, you've made it.
- 2Nothing says hip like politically conscious underground hip hop.BUY @ AMAZON
Liking the Coup sends many important messages to your hip f*ture bedmate:
-you are not racist
-you are political
-you have good taste in hip hop
Extra points if you see Boots Riley give a lecture at a local liberal arts college.
- 3Yes, you're probably thinking: "huh? the Smiths? They're pretty mainstream..."BUY @ AMAZON
Sure, but you should know their work backwards and forwards, because every hipster does. (Same goes for the Velvet Underground, David Bowie, the Pixies, etc.) The key is to know enough about the Smiths that you can make fun of them.
One good Morrissey joke goes a long way.
- 4Prince will get you into ANYONE'S pants.BUY @ AMAZON
- 5France Gall's classic French 60's pop will prove that you don't take yourself TOO deathly seriously, while still giving you European street cred. Great way to impress a well rounded, Renaissance hipster to fall for your light-hearted yet endearing musical tastes.BUY @ AMAZON
items 1 - 5 of 7
today on Ranker
start a list with results
close sorting window
use the search box to filter your list