- 1Up 15Down 0Actress and comedienne Amy Poehler has spent her entire career making us laugh, so it's only fitting that she's a 2011 Emmy nominee for Best Actress in the comedy series 'Parks & Recreation.' This is Poehler's second nomination in this category - she was up against Edie Falco (and lost), in 2010. She's also been nominated twice before as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for 'Saturday Night Live.' She's never won. Could 2011 be Poehler's year? Once again, she's up against fellow 'SNL' alum Tina Fey ('30 Rock'), in this Emmy category.
- 2Up 10Down 3Did you really think we could make any Emmy nominations list that concerns funny women without including Tina Fey? Apparently the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences didn't either, because once again, Fey is nominated for her role as Liz Lemon on '30 Rock' (a show she created). Yes, Fey is a critical darling, having received - hang on, we don't have enough fingers to count - yes, seven Emmy awards over the past decade. Several were for her work on 'Saturday Night Live,' but she's also won multiple Emmys for '30 Rock' - including in the Lead Actress and writing categories. In fact, she's been nominated in the Best Actress/Comedy Series category every year since...2007. Yep, Tina Fey can do it all. Oh, she also received The Kennedy Center's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 2010.
- 3Up 7Down 2This is Martha Plimpton's first Emmy nomination for the FOX sitcom 'Raising Hope,' but she's also no stranger to the Emmy Awards, having been nominated once before for her work on 'Law & Order: SVU.' That guest role, of course, was decidedly NOT comedy work! Plimpton's role as Virginia Chance on 'Raising Hope' is definitely worth of a Best Actress in a Comedy Series Emmy nomination. Oh, and we LOVED HER in 'The Goonies.' Had to say it, just had to.
- 4Up 4Down 5Laura Linney is no stranger to awards - she's won multiple Emmy Awards, two Golden Globes and received three Academy Award nominations over the course of her long and successful Hollywood career. Her return to television on Showtime's 'The Big C' in 2010 garnered her a Golden Globe award in January of 2011. Now, Linney is again up for an Emmy: She's one of six talented ladies vying for the Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series Emmy in 2011.
- 5Up 3Down 6Melissa McCarthy is having a banner year. She's among the 2011 nominees for Best Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as school teacher Molly Flynn on CBS' hit sitcom 'Mike & Molly.' She also stole the show in 2011's breakout comedy movie 'Bridesmaids.' Melissa is a veteran of (really good) TV, having starred on ABC's 'Samantha Who?' and ' the WB's 'Gilmore Girls.' Until 2011, she'd never received any Emmy nominations for her work. Until 2011...
And yes, McCarthy got the surprise of her LIFE! She and Joshua Jackson were presenting the 2011 Emmy nominations, when Jackson...read her name!! She allowed herself a moment or two to, as she said, "Keep it together," then continued on (no doubt with little happy, fluttery butterflies in her tummy).
items 1 - 5 of 6
today on Ranker
start a list with results
close sorting window
use the search box to filter your list