- 2 ReRanks
- See list ranked by
</> Rerank List
- 1Up 45Down 14New York, NY - The largest art museum in the United States with over two million items in its collection. Famous for its Egyptian holdings and antiquities from other cultures, as well as complete ancient interiors built as permanent installations.
Possesses some of the most famous works by Vermeer, Velasquez, Jacques Louis David, Rembrandt, and many others. Also an important collection of Renaissance art, Asian art and porcelains, and a world-renowned collection of musical instruments, costumes and couture from designers such as Chanel, Saint Laurent, and Balenciaga.
- 2Up 41Down 12This is the second largest art museum in the U.S. after the Metropolitan in New York and has over 260,000 pieces (but also see the entry for the Brooklyn Museum). A comprehensive museum best known for impressionist, post-impressionist and American art. Also has a renowned collection of miniatures and one of the largest collections of Claude Monet paintings. Also well-known for installations of African-American art, antique Asian art, and 20th Century furniture.
- 3Up 29Down 8A comprehensive museum with over 225,000 pieces. Includes famous collections of Flemish and Italian Renaissance art, Chinese porcelains, Persian and Turkish rugs, and one of the world's best exhibits of sculptures by Rodin. Also has important impressionist, post-impressionist, and modern art and a very large comprehensive collection of American art.
- 4Up 27Down 7New York, NY - Considered one of the greatest collections of art from the Impressionist period forward including some of the most famous works by Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali, Matisse, Henri Rousseau, and Andrew Wyeth. Holdings include about 150,000 works plus "22,000 films and 4 million film stills."
- 5Up 36Down 14Washington, DC - one of the largest art museums in the U.S. Possesses a major collection of renaissance art, including the only da Vinci piece in the Americas, Spanish art, Dutch masters, impressionists and in the East Wing, vast holdings in modern art. The museum's collection consists of more than 115,000 prints, paintings, drawings, sculptures, and decorative objects.
- 85 +
Is this list missing something?
items 1 - 5 of 84
think you can do better?
Rerank This List
got a blog or website?