- 2 ReRanks
- See list ranked by
- 1Up 58Down 16New York, NY - The largest art museum in the United States with over two million items in its collection. Famous for its Egyptian holdings and antiquities from other cultures, as well as complete ancient interiors built as permanent installations.
Possesses some of the most famous works by Vermeer, Velasquez, Jacques Louis David, Rembrandt, and many others. Also an important collection of Renaissance art, Asian art and porcelains, and a world-renowned collection of musical instruments, costumes and couture from designers such as Chanel, Saint Laurent, and Balenciaga.
- 2Up 49Down 15This is the second largest art museum in the U.S. after the Metropolitan in New York and has over 260,000 pieces (but also see the entry for the Brooklyn Museum). A comprehensive museum best known for impressionist, post-impressionist and American art. Also has a renowned collection of miniatures and one of the largest collections of Claude Monet paintings. Also well-known for installations of African-American art, antique Asian art, and 20th Century furniture.
- 3Up 31Down 7A comprehensive museum holding more than 460,000 works of art. Famous for impressionist, post-impressionist art and Ancient Egyptian artifacts. Also famous for one of the largest collections of Japanese art and pottery in the world.
- 4Up 32Down 8Contains over 65,000 pieces. A comprehensive museum with important collections of Early European paintings old masters, armor, art of ancient cultures, and American art.
- 5Up 41Down 15Washington, DC - one of the largest art museums in the U.S. Possesses a major collection of renaissance art, including the only da Vinci piece in the Americas, Spanish art, Dutch masters, impressionists and in the East Wing, vast holdings in modern art. The museum's collection consists of more than 115,000 prints, paintings, drawings, sculptures, and decorative objects.
items 1 - 5 of 86
think you can do better?
Rerank This List
got a blog or website?