- 1Up 100Down 20
Bangbang Shrimp1 lb shrimp , shelled and deveined smaller shrimp works best
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
3 -5 drops hot chili sauce , just a few drops
1/2-3/4 cup cornstarch , to coat the shrimp in
- Mix mayo and sauces for coating.
- Bread shrimp in cornstarch.
- Deep fat fry the shrimp until lightly brown.
- Drain on paper towel, put shrimp in a bowl and coat with the sauce.
- Serve in a lettuce lined bowl, top with chopped scallions.
- 2Up 117Down 41
Corn Chowder with Lump Crab1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
5 slices bacon, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can crab meat, drained
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap potato cubes in plastic wrap, and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Set aside.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until heated through, and add chopped onions.
- Cook and stir until onions are clear. Stir in crab meat and parsley flakes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over low heat.
- Whisk in flour until mixture becomes creamy and takes on a eggshell color.
- Continue to cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in wine.
- Dissolve chicken bouillon in milk.
- When the flour mixture is crumbly, slowly whisk in the milk.
- Mix well in order to eliminate all lumps.
- When the mixture is creamy and hot, stir in bacon mixture, cubed potatoes, and creamed corn.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- For a creamy curry variation add 2 tablespoons curry powder after adding the wine to the flour mixture, and substitute cooked, cubed chicken for the bacon.
- 3Up 58Down 15
Diablo Shrimp Fettuccine1 lb medium shrimp , peeled and deveined if desired (31 to 35 per pound)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup minced garlic (about 20 small, 12 medium, 10 large, or 5 extra-large cloves from 1 or 2 heads)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained
1 cup dry white wine
1 lb dried fettuccine pasta or 1 lb spaghetti
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in large Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Heat 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat for 4 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with half of red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and ¾ teaspoon salt.
- Add shrimp to hot skillet and quickly arrange in single layer.
- Sear until bottom of shrimp forms small spot of crust, about 30 seconds.
- Remove skillet from heat, turn shrimp over.
- Add cognac; pause until cognac has warmed slightly, about 5 seconds.
- Return to high heat.
- Wave lit match over pan until cognac ignites, shaking pan.
- Remove shrimp to medium bowl and set aside.
- Allow empty skillet to cool, off heat, for 2 minutes.
- Return to burner over low heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and 3 tablespoons garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic foams and becomes sticky and straw colored, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add remaining red pepper flakes and 3/4 teaspoon salt, sugar, tomatoes, and wine.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until thickened and fragrant, about 8 minutes longer.
- Stir in reserved shrimp (with accumulated juices), remaining 1 tablespoon garlic, and parsley and simmer until shrimp have heated through, about 1 minute longer.
- Off heat, stir in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water.
- Stir to separate pasta, and cook until al dente.
- Reserve 1/3 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
- Transfer drained pasta back to now empty Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add about 1/2 cup sauce (sauce only, no shrimp) and 2 to 3 tablespoons reserved pasta cooking water.
- Toss to coat.
- Divide pasta among warm serving plates.
- Top with a portion of sauce and shrimp.
- Serve immediately.
Read more: http://italian.food.com/recipe/shrimp-diablo-w-fettuccine-24151#ixzz1iHg6OjRa
- 4Up 31Down 4
Maryland Crab Cake1 pound crabmeat
2 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
2 tablespoons butter
- Pick the crab meat to remove any remaining pieces of shell.
- Pick bread into small pieces and place in medium-size bowl with crabmeat.
- Add egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning ™.
- Mix ingredients by hand to avoid overworking the crabmeat, you want to keep the lumps of meat as much as possible. - -- Form into patties. make 6 good-size cakes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.
- Fry cakes for about 4 minutes each side or until brown crust forms on both sides of the crab cake.
- 5Up 36Down 16
Pecan Parmesan Crusted Rainbow Trout1ea rainbow trout fillet (whole piece) (tail removed)
2oz pecan & parmesan crust topping
1/2oz salt & pepper mix
1oz artichoke hearts (chopped)
/4oz basil (rough chopped)
1/4oz fresh lemon juice
1/8oz shallots, minced
1/4oz white wine, Regina
2oz unsalted butter (cut in cubes 1/2"x1/2")
1ea tomato gratin
1/8oz fresh basil, chiffonade
Lemon Butter Sauce:
Lemon juice, fresh squeezed, 8oz
White wine, Regina, 4oz
Fresh garlic, minced, 3oz
Fresh shallots, minced, 1oz
Heavy cream, Borden, 6cup (48oz)
Cold water, 2oz
Corn starch, 1oz
- Heat lemon juice, white wine, garlic & shallots on high
- Cook until lemon juice & wine reduce by ½ (approx. 2 minutes)
- Add heavy cream, lower heat to medium & cook until cream boils.
- Stirring with a whisk constantly.
- Cook cream for 2 minutes.
- Mix cold water & corn starch together to make a slurry.
- Add slurry to lemon cream sauce & whisk for 1 minute.
- Pour into a metal 6th pan and keep in hot well on the cook line for service
Pecan & Parmesan Crust :
2 cups grated parmesan reggiano-14oz
2 + 1 cups chopped pecans (pre-chopped) - 18oz
2 cups Panko bread crumbs- 10oz
1/2oz kosher salt-
1/2oz black pepper
- Put all ingredients (EXCEPT 1 cup pecans) together.
- Grind until a rough fine chop (2 minutes).
- Remove from bowl & put into a plastic 3rd pan
- Add in last cup of chopped pecan & mix with hands until you can see pieces of pecan spread throughout the mixture
- Cover with an airtight lid & refrigerate
- Label, date, rotate & store
- 6Up 24Down 8
Coconut-Crusted Shrimp1 cup finely chopped mango
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro , plus additional for garnish
1 pound large shrimp , peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon kosher salt , plus additional
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites , lightly whisked
Vegetable oil , for frying
To make sauce:
- In a medium bowl, combine mango, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, jalapeño, onion, garlic and cilantro.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside.
To prepare shrimp:
- Rinse and pat dry; sprinkle with salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut and flour.
- Spread onto a large plate.
- Dip each shrimp into egg whites.
- Roll in the flour mixture to coat thoroughly.
- In a 9-inch frying pan over high heat, add about 1 inch oil.
- When oil is sizzling, add 2 or 3 shrimp at a time.
- Cook until coconut is golden brown.
- Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle shrimp with additional salt while still hot.
- Serve warm with mango sauce; garnish with cilantro.
got a blog or website?