- 1+ 35- 6
Porcini Rubbed Delmonico with 12-Year Aged Balsamic
2 Delmonico steaks
for the dry rub:
1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms, ground to small bits
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- Stir all of the dry rub ingredients together.
- Rub into both sides of each steak.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before grilling.
- Cook on high or on the hottest part of your grill for about 3 minutes on each side.
- 2+ 42- 13
3 1 1/2 pound live female lobsters
2 carrots,peeled and small dice
3 stalks celery, small dice
4 medium shallots, small dice
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3/4 cup vegetable oil
6 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
4 tbsp cognac
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup white wine
2 1/2 quarts fish stock
1 6 oz can tomato paste
Bouquet Garni with 2 sprigs fresh tarragon added
pnch of cayenne
cracked black pepper
- Cut the lobster down the center of the head between the eyes.
- Leave the tail whole.
- Separate the tail, the head, and remove the claws.
- Keep any juices, the tomalley and the roe in a bowl.
- Heat a 12 inch saute pan on high heat.
- Add the oil.
- Sear the cut pieces of lobster cut side down.
- Add the tail and claws whole.
- Cook until the shells are bright red and the flesh is almost cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Remove lobster from the pan and set to the side.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to the pan and saute the shallots, carrot, celery and garlic until lightly browned.
- Add tomato paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add white wine, cook for 3 minutes, whisking to evenly disperse the tomato.
- Add fish stock.
- Add bouquet garni and lobster to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, skimming any froth or fat with a 4 oz ladle.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lobster and set aside.
- Remove boquet garni and discard.
- Melt remaining 4 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan.
- Add flour and whisk to make the roux.
- Add reserved lobster juices, tomalley, roe and chopped tarragon.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add the cognac to the roux, 1/3 at a time.
- Add the roux to the bisque, whisking to remove any lumps before each addition.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a china cap.
- Add cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove meat from lobster and cut into bite size chunks.
- 3+ 31- 8
For the steak*
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
4 beef tenderloin steaks
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
For the Bearnaise sauce:
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh tarragon
3 eggs yolks
1 stick butter, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 tsp lemon juice
8 oz lump crab, picked over for shells
Tips from 1 lb asparagus, blanched
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Steam the crab legs, place the king crab legs in a loose-fitting foil pouch.
- Before sealing tightly, add a small amount of water.
- Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the crab legs.
- Place in a medium bowl.
- Gently break up any overly-large pieces with your hands.
- To blanch the asparagus tips:
- Bring a small pot of salted water to boil.
- Add tips and cook for 60-90 seconds, just until the asparagus tips turn bright green.
- Remove and immediately place in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Drain and add to the crab.
To cook the steaks:
- Melt butter and olive oil over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Pat the steaks dry and season both sides liberally with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Place the steaks in the pan and sear 3-4 minutes.
- Flip, sear for 3 minutes more and place the pan into the oven.
- Cook to an internal temperature of 135 (medium rare).
- Remove from oven.
- Tent with foil while you finish the sauce.
To make the Bearnaise sauce:
- Boil wine, vinegar, shallots, and fresh tarragon in a small heavy saucepan until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve set into a medium bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids.
- Whisk the yolks into the vinegar mixture.
- Set bowl over a double boiler and cook until hot.
- Whisking constantly until yolks have thickened slightly.
- Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, adding each piece before previous one has melted completely.
- Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste).
- Keep warm, if necessary, by leaving it on the double-boiler but make sure to turn off the heat.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the sauce to the bowl of crab and asparagus.
- Lightly toss to coat.
- Plate the steaks and top with a generous portion of the crab-asparagus mixture.
- Top with additional Bearnaise sauce.
- 4+ 13- 1
Prosciutto-wrapped Mozzarella with Vine Ripe Tomatoes
3 thin slices prosciutto
18 marinated miniature fresh mozzarella balls
- Slice each piece of prosciutto lengthwise into 6 thin strips.
- Wrap around miniature mozzarella balls.
- Secure with a wooden pick. (Large fresh mozzarella balls may be cut into 1-inch chunks.)
- 5+ 39- 18
Pan Fried Calamari with Hot Chili Peppers
2 pounds hot cherry peppers, washed well and dried
6 garlic cloves, halved
3 dried bay leaves
3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
4 cups white-wine vinegar (at least 5 percent acidity)
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Trim cherry pepper stems.
- Divide peppers, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns among 2 quart-size and 1 pint-size sterilized glass jars.
- Bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook until sugar dissolves.
- Pour hot pickling liquid over peppers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace at tops.
- Can in water bath for 15 minutes.
- 6+ 11- 2
2 (8 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 pound total)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced shallot
2 slices bacon
- Place oven rack in it's highest position.
- Set oven to Broil.
- Rub steaks all over with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with onion powder, with salt and pepper.
- Wrap one slice of bacon around each steak, and secure with a toothpick.
- Place steaks onto a broiler pan, and broil for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn the steaks over, and sprinkle the tops with shallots.
- Broil for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until the steaks are cooked to your liking.
- 7+ 8- 1
Lobster and Crab Stuffed Shrimp
can of crab meat
fresh bread crumbs
dry Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Shell and devein shrimp, slice to butterfly.
- Gently pound to flatten.
- Leave on tails.
- Drain crab meat.
- Combine with 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 2 chopped scallions (white ends and a little green), 1 stalk of celery and one cup of fresh bread crumbs.
- Beat egg whites.
- Place about one tablespoon crab mixture on the center of each shrimp, press in shrimp sides (it won't close all the way) - Dip in flour (mixed with salt and pepper) then in the beaten egg, then in the dried bread crumbs.
- Place on cookie sheet and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Carefully place in hot (350-375°F) oil, for not more then a minute or two on each side.
- They should be golden brown and the tails should be pink.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- 8+ 13- 6
Classic Creme Brulee
6 egg yolks
6 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
- Pour cream into a saucepan .
- Stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil.
- Remove the cream from heat immediately.
- Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
- Pour cream mixture into the top of a double boiler.
- Stir over simmering water until mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon; approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat immediately and pour into a shallow heat-proof dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 2 tablespoons white sugar and brown sugar.
- Sift this mixture evenly over custard.
- Place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate until custard is set again.
G Options B Comments & Embed