- 1+ 8- 0
Sausage and Lentil Soup1 lb Italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
6 cups chicken broth
2 x 14½ oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tspn salt
2 cups dry lentils, rinsed
black pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, to taste
- Brown sausage; drain off fat.
- In a large pot combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover.
- Simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Add water, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, serve.
- 2+ 7- 0
Chicken Marsala1 chicken breast, grilled
1 cup dry Marsala wine
½ cup (1 stick) butter
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
½ cup mushrooms, sauteed
- Add Marsala wine, salt and pepper to a hot pan; reduce wine by 70%.
- Several tbsp at a time.
- Stir in butter until sauce is creamy.
- Add hot sauteed mushrooms.
- Pour sauce over grilled chicken before serving.
- 3+ 14- 2
Chicken Bryan6 large chicken breasts
1 to 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ tspn salt
½ tspn black pepper
8 oz goat cheese, softened to room temperature
Sun-Dried Tomato sauce
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped yellow onion
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
10 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 ½ cups finely sliced sun-dried tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ tspn kosher salt
½ tspn white pepper
Prepare the Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce:
- Place butter, garlic, and onion in a large skillet over medium heat .
- Saute until garlic and onion are tender and transparent.
- Add white wine and lemon juice.
- Increase heat to medium-high and simmer to reduce by half.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cold butter one piece at a time.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper .
- Stir to blend ingredients.
- Set aside.
Prepare the Chicken:
- Reduce charcoal briquettes to white-hot coals.
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken over hot coals 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Divide goat cheese evenly between chicken breasts, placing some on each breast for the last two minutes of cooking.
- Place cooked chicken on serving platter and spoon Sun-Dried Tomato
- Sauce over chicken.
- 4+ 7- 2
Ribs AgrodolceOlive oil
4 pounds meaty beef short ribs
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 heads of Blue Moon Farm Organic garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Prairie Fruits Farm honey
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
4 cups beef or chicken broth
1/2 750-ml bottle dry red wine
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat a good splash of olive oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- Season ribs liberally with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, add ribs to pot and brown well, turning often, about 8 minutes per batch.
- Using tongs, transfer ribs to large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot or add oil as necessary to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion, chopped carrot, and celery .
- Cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are soft.
- Stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and flour, and stir 1 minute.
- Add honey, vinegar, wine and broth.
- Bring to boil over high heat, scraping up browned bits.
- Add bay leaf.
- Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot.
- If necessary, add enough water to pot to barely cover ribs.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover pot tightly and transfer to oven.
- Bake until ribs are very tender.
- Stirring occasionally, about 2 hours 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove ribs from pot with tongs.
- Reduce cooking liquid until slightly thickened.
- Stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in ribs and chopped parsley.
- 5+ 4- 0
Linguine Pescatore3 shrimp
6 - 8 mussels
10 oz jar of marinara or tomato sauce of your choice
12 oz of cooked linguine
salt and white pepper, to taste
- Cook all the above (except linguine) over medium heat in a covered sautee pan until done.
- Toss with 12 oz of cooked linguini.
- Garnish and serve.
- 6+ 5- 2
Bruschette Carrabba1 loaf Italian-style or French bread
1 stick butter, softened
3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ tspn garlic powder
3 slices Fontina cheese, thinly sliced and trimmed to fit bread slices
3 slices mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and trimmed to fit bread slices
3 oz mushrooms, sliced, and sauteed in butter
3 slices Roma tomato, sliced ¼" thick
1½ tbsp pesto sauce (use the classic Pesto containing basil and pine nuts )
pinch of extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of fresh basil, cut into fine strips (julienne strips)
- Bake loaf of Italian bread in oven until lightly browned.
- Slice the bread into ½" slices and discard end pieces.
- Cut larger middle slices into equal halves.
- Mix softened butter with chopped garlic and garlic powder.
- Spread garlic butter over six of the smaller pieces of bread.
- Place fontina slices on 3 buttered slices of bread.
- Place mozzarella on the three remaining pieces of buttered bread.
- Place sauteed mushrooms on top of the fontina cheese.
- Top the mozzarella cheese with the tomato slices and Pesto.
- Place all six slices on a baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 500ºF oven for 4 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and top fontina-mushroom bruschette with a drizzle of olive oil.
Do not add olive oil to the tomato-pesto bruschette. Sprinkle all bruschette with the thinly sliced basil leaves.
- 7+ 4- 2
Pollo Rosa Maria4 chicken breasts, split for stuffing
4 slices prosciutto ham
½ cup Fontina cheese
½ cup clarified butter
3 cloves garlic
½ small yellow onion, diced
¼ cup white wine
4 tbsp unsalted butter
½ tspn white pepper
½ tspn salt
8 oz sliced mushrooms
½ cup fresh sweet basil, chopped
lemon butter (above)
1 lemon, juiced
- Open chicken breasts and place butterfly-style on grill over white-hot coals of live oak and pecan wood.
- Grill 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Remove from grill.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, hold breast halves together and stuff each breast with one slice of prosciutto and 1/8 cup Fontina cheese.
- Secure with wooden picks.
- Set aside in a warm place.
For lemon butter and topping:
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, combine clarified butter, garlic, and onion and saute until tender.
- Deglaze pan with white wine.
- Add unsalted butter, salt, and pepper.
- Add mushrooms to lemon butter and saute 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked.
- Add basil and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Place chicken on a serving platter and top with mushrooms in lemon-basil butter .
- 8+ 2- 0
Chocolate Dream1 box dark fudge brownie mix
¼ cup Kahlua
2 cups prepared chocolate mousse
2 cups real whipped cream
1 oz semi-sweet chocolate shavings
- Prepare brownie mix according to box instructions, using the two egg-recipe and substituting milk for the water.
- Line two 9" square baking pans with either parchment paper or wax paper.
- Spray bottoms with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into each pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Set one brownie pan aside.
- Invert other pan and remove brownie in one piece.
- Return to pan upside down.
- Remove parchment paper.
- Brush the brownie evenly with ½ of the Kahlua.
- Then top with ½ of the mousse, spreading it evenly over the brownie.
- Spread ½ of the whipped cream over the mousse.
- Remove second brownie from pan.
- Brush with remaining Kahlua.
- Place it on top of other brownie.
- Spread remaining mousse evenly over the top.
- Spread remaining whipped cream over the mousse.
- Sprinkle top evenly with chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 9+ 1- 0
Cozze in Bianco4 cups mussels
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp chopped yellow onion
2 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp Pernod or other anise/licorice flavored liqueur
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
½ lemon, juiced
lemon butter sauce:
¼ cup real butter
2 tbsp minced yellow onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp dry white wine
Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
2 tbsp cold butter
- Soak mussels in cold water for 8 minutes.
- Scrub with a stiff brush.
- Remove beard with a sharp knife.
- Rinse mussels again in cold water.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add mussels.
- Cover and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Toss to mix; cook, covered, for 1 minute.
- Add Pernod, basil, lemon juice, and lemon butter sauce.
- Cook for 45 seconds.
- Discard any mussels that did not open.
- Serve in a deep bowl.
For Lemon Butter Sauce :
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let sit until the milk solids settle to the bottom.
- Skim the clear butter from the top.
- Discard sediment.
- Saute onion and garlic in 2 tbsp of the clarified butter until transparent.
- Stir in lemon juice and white wine and season salt and pepper.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Remove from heat and swirl in cold butter until sauce is smooth and butter is melted.
- 10+ 1- 2
Pappardelle Campagnolo¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ lb Italian sausage
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, ¼" julienne
¼ cup dry white wine
4 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes (with their juice, finely chopped)
pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch crushed red pepper
2 tbsp freshly torn basil leaves
¼ cup freshly grated, Pecorino Romano cheese
4 oz goat cheese (crumbled)
1 lb papardelle pasta
- Remove sausage from the casing and break into coarse pieces (about 5-6 pieces from each link).
- Put olive oil in a large skillet over a medium flame.
- Add sausage and cook until the sausage has browned slightly.
- Add onion and red bell peppers and cook until they soften and onion turns a rich golden color.
- Add the wine and let evaporate for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Raise heat and bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and let simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in basil and set sauce aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt and drop in the pasta all at once, stirring well.
- When the pasta is almost done, return the skillet with the sauce to a medium heat.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with the sauce, adding the grated cheese and tossing again.
- Place the pasta in a serving platter and top with the crumbled goat cheese.