12/31/2014: Edward Herrmann, who played Rory's grandfather on all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls, died at the age of 71. He passed away at a hospital in New York, after battling brain cancer. Hermmann had been in ICU for three and a half weeks before his death.
Hermann was also known for his role in Richie Rich. He is survived by his second wife, Star, and three children.
12/8/2014: Actress, dancer, and choreographer Stephanie Moseley was killed by her husband in a gruesome murder-suicide. The former back up dancer for Beyoncé, Britney Spears, and Chris Brown was best known for her small part in VH1's Hit the Floor.
On the morning of December 8th, Moseley was shot in her apartment by her husband, rapper Earl Hayes, who was in a jealous rage over Moseley's prior relationship with Trey Songz. The entire ordeal was witnessed over FaceTime by Hayes's good friend, Floyd Mayweather.more ABOUT
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: Mirror Mirror, Idlewild, Sparkle, Leave It On the Floor
12/9/2014: Best known as bug-eating Pugsley on ABC's The Addams Family, Ken Weatherwax passed away of a heart attack. He was 59 years old.
In 1977's, Weatherwax also voiced Pugsley in Halloween with the New Addams Family. He then went on to work behind the scenes as a grip and set builder.more ABOUT
- Age: age 60
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, United States of America
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: The Addams Family, The Addams Family, Halloween with the New Addams Family
11/19/14: Mike Nichols, the Academy Award winning director of The Graduate, has died of a heart attack. The renowned and respected director received an additional four Oscar nominations over the course of his career including directing nods for Working Girl, Silkwood, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. His directing career spanned four decades and also included Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, Tony, and BAFTA nominations and wins. He is survived by his wife of 26 years, television personality Diane Sawyer. Nichols was 83.
11/14/2014: Diem Brown, who rose to fame as a competitor on MTV’s “The Challenge” series and later became an entertainment reporter for People Magazine, has died after a long battle with cancer. She was 32.
Her battle was hard fought and she candidly wrote about her experience on a blog for People. Her positive attitude and perseverance inspired many others fighting similar battles.
Source: Peoplemore ABOUT
- Age: age 34
- Birthplace: Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
- Profession: Presenter
11/11/2014: Carol Ann Susi, best know for playing the voice of Mrs. Wolowitz on the hugely popular CBS sitcom Big Bang Theory, died at the age of 62 after a brief battle with cancer.
Although she was never seen on camera on the show, Susi's distinctive voice and humor made her a fan favorite. Executive producer Chuck Lorre, "the Mrs. Wolowitz character became a bit of mystery throughout the show's eight seasons. What was not a mystery, however, was Carol Ann's immense talent and comedic timing.
Source: TMZmore ABOUT
- Age: age 63
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: The Big Bang Theory, Death Becomes Her, Just Go With It, My Blue Heaven, The Secret of My Success + 5 more
11/3/2014: Public radio personality Tom Magliozzi died of complications from Alzheimer's disease at the age of 77. Magliozzi, along with his brother Ray, gained fame as the co-hosts of NPR's Car Talk, a weekly show. Their banter, wit, and immense automobile knowledge made them popular with car lovers and radio fans alike.
Magliozzi grew up in East Cambridge, MA and graduated from MIT. A car accident inspired him to quit his job as an engineer and start a do it yourself car repair shop in the 1970s. He and his brother stumbled into their radio career after appearing on a panel of car mechanics for a local public radio station. Car Talk would go national in 1987. The show has been airing archives of old shows since 2012, but is still wildly popular.
Source: NPRmore ABOUT
- Age: age 78
- Birthplace: East Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Profession: Voice acting, Mechanic
- Credits: Cars, Click and Clack's As the Wrench Turns, Car of the Future: Engineering for the Environment
10/13/2014: Actress Elizabeth Norment passed away at the age of 61. The news was announced by The Hollywood Reporter, and confirmed by Norment's sister, Kate. She died at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, though the cause of death was not known.
Norment was known for her roles on Party of Five, ER, Mad About You, and Law & Order. She also portrayed Frank Underwood's (Kevin Spacey) executive secretary Nancy Kaufberger on Netflix's House of Cards. She was also known for her extensive theatre work.more ABOUT
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: House of Cards, The Runaway, The Woman in Red
10/27/2014: Actress Marcia Strassman died after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 66 years old. Her death was confirmed by her sister, Julie Strassman saying, "She was the funniest, smartest person I ever met."
Strassman was best known for her roles on Welcome Back Kotter and in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids films.
- Age: age 67
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Activist, Model, Actor, Singer
- Credits: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters + 20 more
10/25/2014: Bassist Jack Bruce, former member of Cream with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, died at his home in Suffolk, England, at age 71. According to a post on Bruce's Facebook page, he was surround by his family at the time of his passing.
As the bassist for one of rock's earliest supergroups, he helped create the tracks "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room" and "SWLABR."more ABOUT
- Age: age 72
- Birthplace: Bishopbriggs, United Kingdom
- Profession: Bassist, Songwriter, Musician, Actor, Singer
- Credits: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
10/20/2014: Noted fashion designer Oscar de la Renta died at his home in Kent, Connecticut. He was 82 years old. His wife, Annette de la Renta, confirmed the news of his passing, due to complications with cancer. He dealt with the disease off and on for 8 years prior to his death.
de la Renta was one of the most famous names in fashion, known for dressing celebrities for red carpet events, numerous American first ladies, and designing the dress that Amal Alamuddin wore for her wedding to George Clooney, among other achievements.
- Age: age 83
- Birthplace: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Profession: Designer
- Credits: The September Issue
10/18/2014: American Idol contestant Joanne Borgella died after battling a rare case of cancer. She was 32 years old. Her family posted news of her passing on her Facebook page, saying, "Her faith, courage and strength were unshaken throughout every obstacle she encountered."
Borgella appeared on season 7 of American Idol, making it to the final 12 for females. She suffered from endometrial cancer, which attacks the lining of the womb.
- Age: age 33
- Birthplace: Uniondale, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Model, Plus-size model, Singer
10/14/2014: Actress Elizabeth Pena passed away at the age of 55 years old. The reportedly died of natural causes following a brief illness. Pena had a decades long career spanning over 40 years, including roles in Lone Star, Transamerica, and The Incredibles.
Pena also played the role of Sofia Vergara's mother on the hit series "Modern Family." She was widely loved by the Hollywood community.
UPDATE: According to Pena's autopsy, the illness from which she was suffering was cirrhosis of the liver, due to alcohol.
- Age: Died at 55 (1959-2014)
- Birthplace: Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States of America
- Profession: Television director, Actor, Voice acting
- Credits: The Incredibles, Rush Hour, Jacob's Ladder, Batteries Not Included, Down and Out in Beverly Hills + 46 more
10/9/2014: Former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Jane Hooks has died at the age of 57. No cause of death was immediately announced, but it TMZ reported that the actress and comedian had been battling a series illness for some time.
The actress and comedian was a cast member on "SNL" from 1986-1991, performing alongside Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, and Chris Farley. In 1998 she was nominated for an Emmy for her role on "3rd Rock from the Sun." She also appeared on "30 Rock," as Jenna Maroney's mother.
- Age: Died at 57 (1957-2014)
- Birthplace: Decatur, Georgia, United States of America
- Profession: Comedian, Actor
- Credits: Batman Returns, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Coneheads, Wildcats, Designing Women + 11 more
9/4/2014: The popular comedic entertainer and E! TV show host Joan Rivers has died at age 81. Sadly, Rivers’ health took a sudden sharp decline after she stopped breathing during elective throat surgery. She was taken to New York’s Mount Sinai hospital, and was later reported to be on life support.
"It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers," Melissa Rivers said in a written statement. "She passed peacefully at 1:17 p.m. surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother."
8/24/14: Sir Richard Attenborough, who was best known for his roles in films like Brighton Rock, The Great Escape, and Jurassic Park, has died. The actor's career spanned six decades and also included turns behind the camera as director for movies like Gandhi, for which he won two Academy Awards. Attenborough was 90.
- Age: Died at 91 (1923-2014)
- Birthplace: Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Profession: Entrepreneur, Film Producer, Actor, Film Director
- Credits: Jurassic Park, The Great Escape, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Gandhi, A Bridge Too Far + 69 more
8/18/14: Don Pardo, the longtime announcer for NBC's "Saturday Night Live," has died. A voice personality since the radio age, Pardo was also an announcer on "The Price Is Right" and "Jeopardy!". He was 96.
- Age: Died at 96 (1918-2014)
- Birthplace: Westfield, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Profession: Announcer, Actor, Voice acting
- Credits: Saturday Night Live, The Price Is Right, Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune, Radio Days + 5 more
8/12/14: Lauren Bacall, a leading lady of the early era of film, has died of a stroke. A frequent co-star of Humphrey Bogart, the film noir actress had starring turns in Dark Passage, Key Largo, The Mirror Has Two Faces, and The Big Sleep. Bacall also appeared on stage and television, logging an honorary Oscar, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild statuettes (The Mirror Has Two Faces), the Cecil B. DeMille Award, Emmy nominations, and two Tony Awards (Applause, and Woman of the Year).
The star of stage and screen was 89.
- Age: Died at 90 (1924-2014)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Spokesperson, Model, Author, Actor, Voice acting
- Credits: Misery, The Big Sleep, Murder on the Orient Express, The Shootist, To Have and Have Not + 55 more
8/11/2014: Robin Williams, beloved comedian and actor has died. With four Oscar nominations (Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, and Good Will Hunting) and one win (Best Supporting Actor for Good Will Hunting), Williams was one of the most versatile actors of his time and one of the most successful comedians turned actors ever.
From undeniably recognizable and quotable voice turns in movies like Aladdin and Happy Feet to dramatic roles in Awakenings and What Dreams May Come to his wacky and instantly memorable roles in films like Mrs. Doubtfire and Hook, Williams' resume reads like a best-of list and separates him from so many other actors of his generation.
Williams was found dead in his home in Tiburon, California from an apparent suicide by hanging. He was 63.
- Age: Died at 63 (1951-2014)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- Profession: Screenwriter, Actor, Voice acting, Stand-up comedian
- Credits: Aladdin, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook + 91 more
7/19/14: James Garner, a veteran of TV and movies, has died. Best known for starring roles in TV series like "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files", garner was wildly popular and well regarded as having the good looks to match his winning personality. Later in his career he appeared in some higher quality TV movies and took several supporting roles in movies like The Notebook, Space Cowboys, and Maverick. The Emmy Award winner and Oscar nominee was 86.
- Age: Died at 86 (1928-2014)
- Birthplace: Norman, Oklahoma, United States of America
- Profession: Soldier, Television producer, Film Producer, Actor, Voice acting
- Credits: The Great Escape, The Notebook, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Maverick, The Rockford Files + 81 more