10/27/2014: Actress Marcia Strassman died after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 66 years old. Her death was confirmed by her sister, Julie Strassman saying, "She was the funniest, smartest person I ever met."
Strassman was best known for her roles on Welcome Back Kotter and in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids films.
- Age: age 67
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Activist, Model, Actor, Singer
- Credits: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, + more
10/25/2014: Bassist Jack Bruce, former member of Cream with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, died at his home in Suffolk, England, at age 71. According to a post on Bruce's Facebook page, he was surround by his family at the time of his passing.
As the bassist for one of rock's earliest supergroups, he helped create the tracks "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room" and "SWLABR."more ABOUT
- Age: 72
- Birthplace: Bishopbriggs, United Kingdom
- Profession: Bassist, Songwriter, Musician, Actor, Singer
- Credits: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
10/20/2014: Noted fashion designer Oscar de la Renta died at his home in Kent, Connecticut. He was 82 years old. His wife, Annette de la Renta, confirmed the news of his passing, due to complications with cancer. He dealt with the disease off and on for 8 years prior to his death.
de la Renta was one of the most famous names in fashion, known for dressing celebrities for red carpet events, numerous American first ladies, and designing the dress that Amal Alamuddin wore for her wedding to George Clooney, among other achievements.
- Age: age 83
- Birthplace: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Profession: Designer
- Credits: The September Issue
10/18/2014: American Idol contestant Joanne Borgella died after battling a rare case of cancer. She was 32 years old. Her family posted news of her passing on her Facebook page, saying, "Her faith, courage and strength were unshaken throughout every obstacle she encountered."
Borgella appeared on season 7 of American Idol, making it to the final 12 for females. She suffered from endometrial cancer, which attacks the lining of the womb.
- Age: 33
- Birthplace: Uniondale, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Model, Plus-size model, Singer
10/14/2014: Actress Elizabeth Pena passed away at the age of 55 years old. The reportedly died of natural causes following a brief illness. Pena had a decades long career spanning over 40 years, including roles in Lone Star, Transamerica, and The Incredibles.
Pena also played the role of Sofia Vergara's mother on the hit series "Modern Family." She was widely loved by the Hollywood community.
UPDATE: According to Pena's autopsy, the illness from which she was suffering was cirrhosis of the liver, due to alcohol.
- Age: Died at 55 (1959-2014)
- Birthplace: USA, Elizabeth, New Jersey
- Profession: Television director, Actor, Voice acting
- Credits: The Incredibles, Rush Hour, Jacob's Ladder, Batteries Not Included, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, + more
10/9/2014: Former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Jane Hooks has died at the age of 57. No cause of death was immediately announced, but it TMZ reported that the actress and comedian had been battling a series illness for some time.
The actress and comedian was a cast member on "SNL" from 1986-1991, performing alongside Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, and Chris Farley. In 1998 she was nominated for an Emmy for her role on "3rd Rock from the Sun." She also appeared on "30 Rock," as Jenna Maroney's mother.
- Age: Died at 57 (1957-2014)
- Birthplace: Georgia, USA, Decatur
- Profession: Comedian, Actor
- Credits: Batman Returns, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Coneheads, Wildcats, Designing Women, + more
9/4/2014: The popular comedic entertainer and E! TV show host Joan Rivers has died at age 81. Sadly, Rivers’ health took a sudden sharp decline after she stopped breathing during elective throat surgery. She was taken to New York’s Mount Sinai hospital, and was later reported to be on life support.
"It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers," Melissa Rivers said in a written statement. "She passed peacefully at 1:17 p.m. surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother."
- Age: Died at 81 (1933-2014)
- Birthplace: New York City, USA, New York
- Profession: Talk show host, Comedian, Television producer, Screenwriter, Actor, + more
- Credits: Spaceballs, Shrek 2, The Smurfs, Look Who's Talking, The Muppets Take Manhattan, + more
8/24/14: Sir Richard Attenborough, who was best known for his roles in films like Brighton Rock, The Great Escape, and Jurassic Park, has died. The actor's career spanned six decades and also included turns behind the camera as director for movies like Gandhi, for which he won two Academy Awards. Attenborough was 90.
- Age: Died at 91 (1923-2014)
- Birthplace: England, Cambridge
- Profession: Entrepreneur, Film Producer, Actor, Film Director
- Credits: Jurassic Park, The Great Escape, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Gandhi, A Bridge Too Far, + more
G Options B Comments & Embed