Colostomy bag gets infected
"This story will forever haunt me. I recently took care of a woman who was in her mid 40s, paraplegic, and had a colostomy. For those not familiar, a colostomy is a pouch that is attached to your colon from the outside of your body that catches your stool. These are for people that have serious issues with their gastrointestinal tract that require an alternative channel for feces to leave their body. Well this patient was a very sick lady to begin with, but she also had a strange infection originating from her colostomy site. She was to the point of sepsis, which again to simplify, is just not good.
Turns out, her husband was very seriously addicted to heroin and needed money in the worst way, so he rented his wife out... meaning that people would pay to come over to their house and have sex with his wife in her stoma... the hole from which the feces left her body."
Woman claws out own eyeball
"My dad is in nursing school, told me one story where they brought in a mentally disturbed woman who was behaving violently. She kept on flailing about and then started attacking herself. At one point he said she literally clawed out her eyeball. It was dangling out of the socket by the optic nerve and everyone tried to restrain her so they could help but one of her arms broke free so she reached up, grabbed her eyeball, and squished it."
Man comes in who "cut [his] private area"
"I worked the night shift in ER admissions. I have seen lots of craziness in my day but the worst was a schizophrenic man who went off his meds.
When he came in he looked normal. There wasn't anything obviously wrong with him. He asked to see a nurse, so I paged triage. The nurse was with a patient but came out to ask him why he needed to see the nurse and he just said, 'I cut my private area.' So she finishes with her patient and comes back for him. When she gets him to the triage room she asked to see the wound. He drops his pants and HIS PENIS WAS GONE.
This guy had really no idea what he had done. He didn't bring it in. He didn't even know where it was. He had waited way too long to come to the ER. His penis was found in a cemetery later on. All of the men looked pretty pale."
Woman stores dead bird inside herself
"My friend is a nurse and working in Melbourne and a well-known patient (frequent flyer with mental health concerns) came in throwing up, her skin was yellow and clammy. She was very disoriented. The nurse proceeded to do a full body check with another nurse and they just happen to see a small string hanging out of the lady's private parts. They asked the woman about it and she wouldn't answer. So the nurses slowly pulled on the string and out came a dead, decaying sparrow. When asked what it was doing in there, the patient claimed that she was planning on eating it later.The decomposing bird was causing blood poisoning."