- 1Rosa Parks was a civil rights activist and NAACP leader who became famous after she refused to give up her seat on the bus to a white person. She received national recognitions including the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She lived a full life until she died of natural causes at the age of 92 on October 24, 2005. She had been struggling with dementia for years.
Rosa Louise McCauley Parks was an African-American Civil Rights activist, whom the United States Congress called "the first lady of civil rights" and "the mother of the freedom movement". Her birthday, February 4, and the day she was arrested, December 1, have both become Rosa Parks Day, commemorated in ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 92 (1913-2005)
- Birthplace: Tuskegee, Alabama, United States of America
- Profession: Activist
- Credits: Touched by an Angel
- 2Sparky Anderson was a Major League Baseball Manager who was the first manager to win the World Series in both the American League and National League. Though he played in the major leagues for only one year in his youth, he was wildly successful manager for years. In 2010 it was announced that he was put into hospice care for dementia, which progressed until his death at age 76 later that year.
George Lee "Sparky" Anderson was a Major League Baseball player and manager. He managed the National League's Cincinnati Reds to the 1975 and 1976 championships, then added a third title in 1984 with the Detroit Tigers of the American League. He was the first manager to win the World Series in both ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 76 (1934-2010)
- Birthplace: Bridgewater, South Dakota, United States of America
- Profession: Manager, Baseball player
- 3Philippe Pétain was the Marshal of France and eventually the Chief of State of Vichy France from 1940 to 1944. Pétain was 80 years-old in 1940, making him the oldest head of state that France has ever had. In his old age, he became extremely senile and suffered dementia. He required round-the-clock care until he died at the age of 95 in 1951. In 1973, his coffin was stolen, and was found in a garage. He was given another ceremonial funeral after it was recovered.
Henri Philippe Benoni Omer Joseph Pétain, generally known as Philippe Pétain, Marshal Pétain, was a French general who reached the distinction of Marshal of France, and was later Chief of State of Vichy France, from 1940 to 1944. Pétain, who was 84 years old in 1940, ranks as France's oldest head of ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 95 (1856-1951)
- Birthplace: Cauchy-à-la-Tour, France
- Credits: The Children of Chabannes
- 4Antony Flew was a British philosopher and a huge advocate of atheism. Flew was against the idea of life after death, and refused to believe in God without any evidence. However, later in life he published the book There is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind along with Roy Abraham Varghese. Many people believe that Flew's deteriorating mental state due to dementia was responsible for his change of heart, and that Varghese was responsible for the majority of the book.
Antony Garrard Newton Flew was an English philosopher. Belonging to the analytic and evidentialist schools of thought, Flew was most notable for his work related to the philosophy of religion. During the course of his career he taught at the universities of Oxford, Aberdeen, Keele and Reading, and at ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 87 (1923-2010)
- Birthplace: London, United Kingdom
- Profession: Professor, Philosopher
- 5Lynn Cartwright is an actress who is most famous for playing the older version of Geena Davis' character in "A League of Their Own." At age 76, after suffering from dementia and a broken hip due to a fall, she passed away.
Lynn Cartwright was an American character actress probably best known for her performance as the older version of Geena Davis' character, Dottie Hinson, in the 1992 film A League of Their Own. She was born Doralyn Emma Cartwright in McAlester, Oklahoma, the daughter of U.S. Congressman Wilburn ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 77 (1927-2004)
- Birthplace: USA, Oklahoma, McAlester
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: A League of Their Own, The Apartment, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie, Seniors
- 6Anthony Cave Brown was an award winning reporter, writer and historian. He had a long career covering dangerous war zones and war-torn areas as a photographer and writer. He died of dementia and pneumonia on July 14, 2006.
Anthony Cave Brown was an English-American journalist, espionage non-fiction writer and historian. moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 77 (1929-2006)
- Profession: Journalist, Historian
- 7Peter Breck was an actor who was known for his role as Doc Holliday in the classic TV series "Maverick," and also as the hot-tempered Nick in the 1960s Western series "The Big Valley." He continued acting through the 90s and early 2000s, but began suffering from dementia later in life. He died on February 6, 2012 from his illness.
Joseph Peter Breck was an American character actor of stage, television, and film. The rugged, dark-haired Breck played the gambler and gunfighter John H. "Doc" Holliday on the ABC/Warner Brothers television series Maverick but is best known for his role as Victoria Barkley's hot-tempered, middle son ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 83 (1929-2012)
- Birthplace: USA, New York, Rochester
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: Benji, The Big Valley, Shock Corridor, Black Saddle, The Crawling Hand, + more
- 8Moondyne Joe is a famous Australian outlaw and folk hero who was known for his ability to break out of prison. He broke out of prison five times over the course of his career as a horse thief and robber, and ended up living a long life until he died of dementia. There are many Australian songs and stories about his life and adventures.
Joseph Bolitho Johns, better known as Moondyne Joe, was Western Australia's best known bushranger. Born into poor and relatively difficult circumstances, he became something of a petty criminal and robber with a strong sense of self-determination. He is well remembered as a person who had escaped ...moremore ABOUT
- Age: Died at 74 (1826-1900)
- Birthplace: Wales
- Profession: Bushranger
G Options B Comments & Embed