< >Show: 5 25
- the list
View as a
- 1Up 25Down 3Sons of Scotland! I am William Wallace....Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if he were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse. I am William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my country men, here, in defiance of tyranny. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight? ...Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom! Alba gu bra! (Scotland forever!)BUY @ AMAZON
Mel Gibson's speech as Scottish fighter William Wallace in 1995's "Braveheart" defines inspirational. This is how you motivate your troops!
- 2Up 12Down 3'O Captain, my Captain.' Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue? It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincoln. Now in this class, you can either call me Mr. Keating, or if you're slightly more daring, O Captain, my Captain. Now let me dispel a few rumors so they don't fester into facts. Yes, I too attended Hell-ton and survived. And no, at that time I was not the mental giant you see before you. I was the intellectual equivalent of a ninety-eight pound weakling. I would go to the beach and people would kick copies of Byron in my face...BUY @ AMAZON
'Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.' The Latin term for that sentiment is Carpe Diem. Now who knows what that means?...Seize the day. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Why does the writer use these lines?...Because we are food for worms, lads. Because, believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day gonna stop breathing, turn cold, and die.
Now I would like you to step forward over here and peruse some of the faces from the past. You've walked past them many times. I don't think you've really looked at them. They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you. Their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen. Do you hear it? Carpe. Hear it? Carpe. Carpe Diem. Seize the day boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
Robin Williams delivers this incredible monologue in 1989's inspirational (and horribly sad) "Dead Poets Society." Just watch. Enough said. It's beautiful.
- 3Up 15Down 7Anybody know what this place is? This is Gettysburg. This is where they fought the battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fightin' the same fight that we're still fightin' amongst ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pourin' right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, you take a lesson from the dead.BUY @ AMAZON
If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other right now, but you will respect each other. And maybe - I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men.
This list of inspirational movie speeches does include a whole lot of sports-related movies, but really let's face it: Coaches give inspirational speeches, period. At least, the great ones do. Like Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) in 2000's "Remember the Titans." Awesome movie, awesome scene and awesome speech.
- 4Up 8Down 1Just get up off the ground, that's all I ask. Get up there with that lady that's up on top of this Capitol dome, that lady that stands for liberty. Take a look at this country through her eyes if you really want to see something. And you won't just see scenery; you'll see the whole parade of what Man's carved out for himself, after centuries of fighting. Fighting for something better than just jungle law, fighting so as he can stand on his own two feet, free and decent, like he was created, no matter what his race, color, or creed. That's what you'd see. There's no place out there for graft, or greed, or lies, or compromise with human liberties. And, uh, if that's what the grownups have done with this world that was given to them, then we'd better get those boys' camps started fast and see what the kids can do. And it's not too late, because this country is bigger than the Taylors, or you, or me, or anything else. Great principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just have to see them again...BUY @ AMAZON
James Stewart's character, Senator Jefferson Smith, gives the inspirational speech of his life in 1939's classic "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." Smith delivers this incredible speech on the Senate floor after 23 hours and 16 minutes of filibustering. Democracy. It's all about fighting for Democracy. And fighting corruption. And more than 70 years later, it still seems extremely timely.
- 5Up 10Down 3I rode the bench for two years. Thought I wasn't being played because of my color, I got filled up with a lotta attitude. So I quit. Still not a week goes by I don't regret it. And I guarantee a week won't go by in your life you won't regret walking out, letting them get the best of ya. You hear me clear enough?BUY @ AMAZON
Thought I'd let 1993's "Rudy" slip by? No chance. This brief speech that Fortune, the janitor, gives to Rudy is brief, but it's memorable - and it's certainly inspirational, setting up one of the best, most tear-jerking scenes in sports movie history. "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!"
Is this list missing something?
items 1 - 5 of 18
got a blog or website?
iPad users, go Landscape for the best experience!