- "I feel certain that I'm going mad again. I feel we can't go thru another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 59 (1882-1941)
- Birthplace: Kensington, London, United Kingdom
- Profession: Novelist, Author, Writer
- Credits: Orlando, Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse, Simple Gifts, Golven + 1 more
- "The act of taking my own life is not something I am doing without a lot of thought. I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm. Love always, Wendy."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 49 (1949-1998)
- Birthplace: Webster, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Musician, Actor, Singer
- Credits: Reform School Girls
- "The future is just old age and illness and pain.... I must have peace and this is the only way."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 68 (1889-1957)
- Birthplace: Dudley, United Kingdom
- Profession: Theatre Director, Actor, Film Director
- Credits: Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Old Dark House, Hell's Angels, Waterloo Bridge + 17 more
Lupe Velez"To Harald, may God forgive you and forgive me too but I prefer to take my life away and our baby's before I bring him with shame or killing him, Lupe."
- "No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won't hurt."
Hunter S. Thompson left the note, titled "Football Season is Over," for his wife, Anita. He shot himself four days later at his home in Aspen, Colorado, after weeks of pain from a host of physical problems that included a broken leg and a hip replacement. The two were on the telephone at the time.more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 68 (1937-2005)
- Birthplace: Louisville, Kentucky, United States of America
- Profession: Journalist, Novelist, Author, Writer
- Credits: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Rum Diary, Where the Buffalo Roam, Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, Buttermilk and Cigarettes
- "Frances and Courtney, I'll be at your altar. Please keep going Courtney, for Frances for her life will be so much happier without me. I LOVE YOU. I LOVE YOU."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 27 (1967-1994)
- Birthplace: Aberdeen, Washington, United States of America
- Profession: Guitarist, Songwriter, Musician, Singer, Artist
- "When I am dead, and over me bright April
Shakes out her rain drenched hair,
Tho you should lean above me broken hearted,
I shall not care.
For I shall have peace.
As leafey trees are peaceful
When rain bends down the bough.
And I shall be more silent and cold hearted
Than you are now."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 49 (1884-1933)
- Birthplace: St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America
- Profession: Poet, Writer
- "Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool - good luck."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 66 (1906-1972)
- Birthplace: Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Profession: Singer-songwriter, Author, Actor, Composer
- Credits: The Jungle Book, All About Eve, Rebecca, A Shot in the Dark, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir + 102 more
- "I must end it. There's no hope left. I'll be at peace. No one had anything to do with this. My decision totally."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 23 (1954-1977)
- Birthplace: Washington Heights, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Actor, Stand-up comedian
- Credits: Chico and the Man, Million Dollar Rip Off
- "They tried to get me - I got them first!"more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 52 (1879-1931)
- Birthplace: Springfield, Illinois, United States of America
- Profession: Poet
- "La tristesse durera toujours."
Translation: "The sadness will last forever."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 37 (1853-1890)
- Birthplace: Zundert, Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Profession: Painter, Artist
- "Don't worry, it's not loaded."
Terry Kath died playing Russian roulette.more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 32 (1946-1978)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- Profession: Guitarist, Songwriter, Musician
- Credits: Electra Glide in Blue
- "And now, in keeping with Channel 40's policy of always bringing you the latest in blood and guts, in living color, you're about to see another first - an attempted suicide."
Christine Chubbuck shot herself during a broadcast.more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 30 (1944-1974)
- Birthplace: Hudson, Ohio, United States of America
- Profession: Journalist, TV Journalist
- "All fled--all done, so lift me on the pyre;
The feast is over, and the lamps expire."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 30 (1906-1936)
- Birthplace: Peaster, Texas, United States of America
- Profession: Novelist, Author, Writer
- Credits: Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Solomon Kane, Red Sonja, Kull the Conqueror + 2 more
- "Lets see if this will do it."
Jon-Erik Hexum died from an accidental suicide as he shot himself with a blank-loaded pistol on the set of TV spy show "Cover Up." The concussion forced a chunk of his skull into his brain; he died six days later.more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 27 (1957-1984)
- Birthplace: Englewood, New Jersey, United States of America
- Profession: Model, Actor
- Credits: Voyagers!, Cover Up, Making of a Male Model, The Bear
- "When all usefulness is over, when one is assured of an unavoidable and imminent death, it is the simplest of human rights to choose a quick and easy death in place of a slow and horrible one."more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 75 (1860-1935)
- Birthplace: Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America
- Profession: Novelist, Lecturer, Author, Writer
- Credits: The Yellow Wallpaper
Sergei EseninGoodbye, my friend, goodbye
My love, you are in my heart.
It was preordained we should part
And be reunited by and by.
Goodbye: no handshake to endure.
Let's have no sadness -- furrowed brow.
There's nothing new in dying now
Though living is no newer.
This note was written in his own blood, and given to a friend the day before Sergei Esenin hanged himself.
- "To my friends: My work is done. Why wait?"more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 78 (1854-1932)
- Birthplace: Waterville, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Businessperson, Inventor
- "Goodbye, everybody!"
These were the last words of Hart Crane as he jumped off the cruise ship "Orizaba." His body was never found.more ABOUT
- Age: Died at 33 (1899-1932)
- Birthplace: Garrettsville, Ohio, United States of America
- Profession: Poet, Writer
Nicolas-Sebastien Chamfort"Moi, Sebastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort, déclare avoir voulu mourir en homme libre plutôt que d'être reconduit en esclave dans une maison d'arrêt"
Translation: "I, Sebastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort, hereby declare my wish to die a free man rather than to continue to live as a slave in a prison"