- 6 ReRanks
- See list ranked by
L The List
G Options2rerank list
- 1+ 68- 13Hitlers 1942 Russian offensive proves to be the greatest blunder of the war. Instead of going for Moscow, or the vital ports up north, he chooses the Caucasus oil fields as his target. Hitler then changes his mind and makes the priority Stalingrad, the city named after his rival Stalin. However, without bothering to bolster the Sixth Army's flanks, the entire army is cut off inside the city of Stalingrad. To make things worst, Hitler then orders the army to keep fighting in the city, even though the Russians were pushing all Germans in the area back. The result is the surrender of the Sixth army, and Germany's failure to conquer Russia.
- 2+ 49- 12The biggest tank battle of all time fittingly took place between the Germans and the Soviets. Thousands of tanks on each side fought each other in a battle that could change the course of the eastern front. Model attacked the Russian bulge from the North, and Von Manstein attacked from the south. The Russians under general Rokossovsky, knew where the Germans would attack and built defenses accordingly. Model failed to concentrate his forces enough to break thru the Russian defenses, but Von Manstein had cut behind enemy lines and was about to cut off the Russian army. Hitler, in one of the greatest blunders of the war, however ordered Manstein to retreat and called off the entire attack. The result was that the Germans handed the Russians the initiative for the rest of the war.
- 3+ 56- 17The Luftwaffe attempts to destroy the Royal Air Force so Germany can invade Britain. The Germans use their vast numbers to force the British to choose its battles carefully. The British however, had already developed radar which allowed them to figure out where the Luftwaffe would attack. Oddly enough, the turning point of this battle did not happen in Britain, but in Germany. Berlin was bombed, which sent Hitler into a rage and led to the bombing of major British cities, saving the RAF from destruction. Sparing the RAF ended up being a terrible blunder, as the British retook the superiority in the air and made a invasion into Britain impossible.
- 4+ 48- 17A decisive American victory, destroying Yamamoto's 4 aircraft carriers. Yamamoto made one of the worst blunders of the war when he used his bombers on Midway and let an American carrier, whose aircraft would destroy his entire fleet, off the hook till his dive bombers could refuel. Often called one of the most stunning and unforseen victories in all of naval warfare.
- 5+ 30- 11A surprise attack on the Russians that Hitler had been planning for some time. German solders trapped and encircled millions of Russian solders and pushed the Russians back hundreds of kilometers. The Germans took Smolensk, Kiev and Odessa among other key cities. Operation Typhoon, the final assault on Moscow, ended however with the Germans having to retreat west for the winter. While failing to achieve its final objectives, it still left the Germans with the initiative in the spring of 1942 to attack even further into Russia. The brutal treatment by the Germans to the Russians, the "Final Solution" called for the death of every Russian, that fell in the German blitz creates an anti-German fever, that united a divided Soviet Union to counter this horrible threat.
- 6+ 24- 9France, one of the major powers of the world, hid from the Germans behind the Maginot line, a series of defenses that the Germans could not pass. Instead of attempting to break thru the tough defenses, Guderian out flanked the Allies in the north and cut France in two. Counterattacks against the Germans failed and France could see the writing on the wall. The British managed, with a little help from a classic Hitler military blunder, to escape in the battle of Dunkirk back to Britain and fight another day. However Britain had lost its last ally against Germany, and seemed doomed to be blitzed just like France.