- 1Up 20Down 3NBA star Carmelo Anthony came under fire in August 2010 for a series of tweets he posted. After Kat Stacks, a groupie who has a fondness for rappers, mentioned Anthony on Twitter, he responded by offering $5,000 to anyone who could slap her and provide proof of the action. Despite a photo of a stack of cash in a subsequent message, according to Anthony's wife, LaLa Vasquez, the offer was only the result of someone hacking the Twitter account.
- 2Up 12Down 1After learning that he would not be admitted to the White House to meet with President Barack Obama along with the rest of the NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks, Delonte West had a complete meltdown on his Twitter page. He went off on the media, the Internet and anyone who was listening, talking about how his image issues combined with a divorce and legal issues forces him to sleep in his car. After he cooled down a bit, he deleted the tweets and apologized.
- 3Up 9Down 2Taking tasteless humor to the next level, MMA fighter Forrest Griffin lost a ton of followers, not to mention respect from fans, when he tweeted an awful rape joke. Griffin deleted the sour comment, then posted it again two hours later before removing that tweet as well. He went on to retweet replies he received criticizing the joke and informed fans that following him is a "privilege" before deleting all traces of the incident completely.
- 4Up 7Down 2Former Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson learned the hard way not to interact with heckling fans via Twitter. In October 2009, he got into a heated exchange on the social networking site and used a gay slur in the process. Johnson even went as far to say "U (sic) don't stop my checks," something that proved to be false when he was suspended for the incident and forced to give up the $213,000 he would have earned had he played.
- 5Up 6Down 2In June 2011, NBA star Gilbert Arenas was fined by the league for using what he described as "bad words" in his Twitter messages. While it was not exactly clear what Arenas said, the NBA set a precedent for its players with this move. Arenas later cleaned up his feed, removing comments such as "morning twitter fam..i need me a slave to make me breakfast in the mornings..i guess yall might call them girlfriends...i'm hungry." and "I'm the only athlete that's never cheated on his girl…but I did practice a lot...to be good at anything u need practice... So my girl was the GAME and I had practice girls... cmon ppl we all know practice makes perfect."
Is this list missing something?
BE THE FIRST TO ADD AN ITEM
items 1 - 5 of 13
today on Ranker
start a list with results
close sorting window
use the search box to filter your list