L The List
- 1+ 19- 0Betty White is officially the oldest person ever to host 'Saturday Night Live.' After a Facebook campaign prompted 'SNL' to extend a hosting invitation, viewers rejoiced when White agreed.
Betty White graced the 'SNL' stage during the show's 35th season, on May 8, 2010, delivering a hilarious monologue, remarking that, "It's great to be here for a number of reasons." She also explains that now that she knows what Facebook is, she thinks it seems like a big waste of time. Great stuff from the classiest, funniest lady working in TV today!also RANKED
- 2+ 9- 0Charlton Heston was 70 years old when he hosted 'SNL' on December 4, 1993. The always brilliant Heston delivered a great monologue to an audience filled...with apes? He's not a mutant, dammit! He asks Lorne Michaels for help, to no avail. The apes are a great audience, after all...also RANKED
- 3+ 11- 1On February 11, 1995, Bob Newhart hosted 'Saturday Night Live.' At the time, Newhart was 65 years old. This was Newhart's second turn as an 'SNL' host (the first came in 1980). The 1995 episode was packed with goodness, including a parody of the 'Newhart' skit - where he wakes in bed with Emily and swears that he just dreamed he hosted 'Saturday Night Live.'
Trivia: Bob Newhart is current 'SNL' cast member Paul Brittain's uncle.also RANKED
- 4+ 13- 2Christopher Walken has hosted 'SNL' a total of 7 times. On April 5, 2008, Walken was 65 years old when he walked out to deliver his opening 'Saturday Night Live' monologue. The show itself was packed with great skits, including "Surprise Party," with a hysterically funny, and really excitable Kristen Wiig. "Clowns!"also RANKED
- #8 on Actors You Would Watch Read the Phone Book
- #16 on The Coolest Actors Ever
- #27 on The Best Actors in Film History
- #38 on The Greatest Actors & Actresses in Entertainment History
- 5+ 11- 2Dame Helen Mirren was 65 years old when she hosted 'SNL' for the first time on April 9, 2011. And she was fabulous. So were her breasts, which were groped repeatedly by 'SNL' cast members Kristen Wiig and Nasim Pedrad in the 'SNL' digital short "Helen Mirren's Magical Bosom." Oh, and she totally makes out as Eleanor Roosevelt with Abby Elliott's Marilyn Monroe.also RANKED
- #3 on The Best Actresses Working Today
- #9 on The Best Actresses in Film History
- #48 on The Greatest Actors & Actresses in Entertainment History
- #302 on The Most Beautiful Women of All Time
- 6+ 9- 1Famed broadcaster Howard Cosell hosted 'SNL' when he was 67 years old, earning him a spot on this list. Cosell took the 'Saturday Night Live' stage to deliver his monologue on April 13, 1985. Cosell points out that in 1975, he hosted a variety program on ABC called 'Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell.' The show didn't last long - it was canceled after a few short months (it really was bad) - but at the same time, NBC's 'Saturday Night' began airing. After Cosell's show got canned, NBC's 'Saturday Night' became 'Saturday Night Live.'
Want more trivia? Sure! Cosell's 'Saturday Night Live' show featured a cast called the "Prime Time Players." When NBC changed the name (after the Cosell cancelation), they named their cast the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players."