G Options B Comments & Embed
- 1+ 44- 9
Brown Sugar Glazed Baby Back Ribs4 (2-pound) slabs loin back ribs, membrane removed (ask butcher or meat department to do this for you)
* Dry rub
1-1/4 Cups sugar
6 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons paprika
2-1/2 Tablespoons iodized table salt
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon each: black pepper and garlic powder
1/4 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 Teaspoon onion powder
* Braising liquid
1-1/4 Cups barbecue sauce (KC Masterpiece or similar)
1-1/4 Cup apple juice
1/4 Cup cider vinegar
1/4 Cup liquid smoke
2-1/2 Cups light brown sugar
1/2 Cup light corn syrup
6 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 Tablespoons barbecue rub
1/2 Cup light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons barbecue rub.
- Dry Rub: Mix all ingredients and break up brown sugar chunks; reserve 2 tablespoons for brown-sugar topping.
- Braising Liquid: Combine all braising liquid ingredients.
- Glaze: Bring ingredients to boil on medium heat and remove; keep warm. Combine brown sugar topping ingredients.
- Put ribs cavity side up on sheet pan; season each slab with about 1/4 cup barbecue rub.
- Flip ribs over; season top side with 1/4 cup of rub, and refrigerate ribs for an hour.
- Heat oven to 250 F and cut 4 square sheets heavy-duty foil; put slab of ribs, top side up, on sheet of foil.
- Fold ends to make loose packet around each slab; pour 5 oz braising liquid into each packet.
- Seal top and make sure packet is loose around ribs; put packets on sheet pan and bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Thirty minutes from being done, heat grill to medium heat; check ribs if meat is easily pulled from the bones.
- Place ribs cavity side down on sheet pan; brush slab tops with warm brown-sugar glaze.
- Put ribs cavity side up on grill; brush again with warm brown-sugar glaze.
- Grill for 2 minutes and flip slabs over; brush tops of slabs with more brown-sugar glaze.
- Grill for 2 minutes longer and remove ribs; sprinkle each slab with brown-sugar topping.
- 2+ 28- 5
Brunswick Stew1/2 roasting chicken (about 1-1/2 pounds)
6 cups water
2/3 lb ground beef
1 1/2 lbs onions , diced (about 4 cups)
3/4 lb smoked pork (pulled pork, or 1 pound ground pork, see note)
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup barbecue spice
2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- Cut chicken into pieces; place in a stockpot and cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover; simmer for 30 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; pour stock into a bowl or large measuring cup.
- When chicken is cool, discard skin; pull meat from bones and discard bones.
- Tear meat into small pieces.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until about half done.
- Add onions and cook until translucent for 8 minutes; add chicken and pulled pork.
- Stir and cook until well mixed and heated through for 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- Transfer meat mixture to stockpot; stir in 4 cups of reserved chicken stock.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice, ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, barbecue spice and corn; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
- Stir occasionally, add stock if needed.
- 3+ 22- 3
Honey Pecan Butter1/2 cup pecans, halved
1 lb unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup clover honey
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place pecan halves on a cooking tray and cook until toasted for 5-8 minutes; remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Chop cooled pecans.
- Place pecans and butter in a mixer; blend for 3-5 minutes using spatula.
- Blend on low speed and add honey; continue until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Place in serving dish or bowl; refrigerate until ready for use.
- Serve with warm cornbread.
- 4+ 19- 5
BBQ Chicken NachosAbout 4 ounces tortilla chips, or
enough to cover a flat baking sheet
or heatproof platter
2 to 2-1/2 cups diced barbecued chicken (about 12 ounces)
8 ounces grated cheddar, Monterey Jack or
asadero cheese or, preferably, a combination
2 large or 3 average green onions, chopped (include green parts)
1 fresh jalapeño, seeds and stems removed,
minced (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange chips on a large baking sheet lined with foil.
- Sprinkle cheese over chips; top with equal portions of chicken, green onion, jalapeño and sprinkle with cumin.
- Bake 7-12 minutes until cheese melts and is bubbly; serve hot, and if desired, with guacamole or sour cream on the side.
- 5+ 22- 11
Smokey Bones BBQ Sauce1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard (you should use French’s)
7 Tbs brown sugar
8 Tbs tomato paste
5 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour into a sterilized glass jar; refrigerate between uses.
- 6+ 11- 7
Baked Apples1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 1/2 lbs golden delicious apples
1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix both sugars and cinnamon together until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Wash, peel, and core apples; cut into 1/2-inch wedges.
- Toss apple wedges in sugar and cinnamon mixture; coat apples thoroughly and evenly.
- Brush bottom and sides of a medium casserole dish with one tablespoon of the melted butter; place seasoned apples in dish.
- Drizzle remaining melted butter over apples.
- Bake apples for 30 minutes or until slightly soft; serve immediately.
- 7+ 6- 4
Lodge Salad6 ounces romaine lettuce
6 ounces field greens
2 tomatoes , chopped (or one huge one)
1/3 cup sunflower seed
1/2-3/4 cup sesame sticks
1/3 cup toasted pecans
1/2 cup wasabi peas
1/2 cup asiago cheese
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup sante fe salad dressing
- Toss all ingredients together.
- Top each serving with grilled chicken or a shrimp skewer, if desired; serve.