Geraldo Rivera Calls Casey Anthony a Slut
Some time during Summer 2008, doe-eyed Caucasian American toddler Caylee Anthony was murdered in Orlando, FL. Three years later, her mother Casey - then 25 - was on trial for her murder. Prosecution focused on her hard-partying ways and lady-of-leisure lifestyle, even when she had a kid at home / locked in the trunk of her car.
During the the high-profile trial, it was revealed that Casey Anthony got a tattoo that said Bella vita, "the beautiful life" in the weeks following her daughter's "disappearance." Geraldo Rivera, ever the meticulous wordsmith, somersaulted in to the media circus with his own eloquent verdict:
More evidence... I think it will end the prosecution case with a bang, so to speak, to show that this was a selfish, narcissistic, self-involved slut who wanted to kill her child to have la bella vita.
Geraldo Rivera Compares Rolling Stone Journalist to Al Qaeda Terrorists
You may call Geraldo Rivera a lot of things - a hack, a d-bag, an irrelevant mustachioed joke of a journalist who kind of looks like The Burger King - but one thing you may not call him is "black," particularly if you are a pot. I think you know what I mean. (The kettle thing.)
Here is how this chain of events played out:
1. In 2010, freelance journalist Michael Hastings interviewed the top commander in Afghanistan, four-star U.S. Army General Stanley A. McChrystal, and his staff.
2. Hastings wrote an article, "The Runaway General," featuring quotes from McChrystal and his aides mocking civilian government officials, including Joe Biden, National Security Advisor James L. Jones, and US Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl W. Eikenberry. McChrystal was not directly quoted as being critical of Obama or his policies, but several comments from his aides in the article reflected their perception of McChrystal's disappointment with the President when they met. Prior to the article's release, the staff was contacted to verify the validity of the article - which they did.
3. McChrystal called Joe Biden to apologize in advance of the article's release to newsstands.
4. Biden told Obama. Obama read the article. Obama summoned McChrystal to the White House.
5. McChrystal tendered his resignation, which Obama accepted.
6. Geraldo Rivera goes on "The O'Reilly Factor" to compare Michael Hastings to two Al Qaeda terrorists who posed as journalists and suicide bombed Sheik Massoud, a valuable U.S. ally in Afghanistan.
Whoever was in charge of putting that reporter with those soldiers in that context allowed a rat to be in an eagle's nest.What can he say? He hates journalists, man. They might as well be drawing maps in the sand for our enemies.
Geraldo Rivera Curses at Cameraman Filming Hurricane Katrina Victim
Look, Hurricane Katrina was rough for everyone, and journalists were no exception. As the flood waters rose, so did Geraldo's frustration when his cameraman couldn't see a victim clinging to part of a building. During a live segment for Fox News, he shouted and cursed, "There's a person - right there, g*ddammit!" - enough to reportedly earn him a fine from the FCC.
Geraldo Rivera Endangers American Troops, Compromises Iraqi Mission
This is a good one. In 2003, the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army - the "Screaming Eagles" - was escorting war correspondent Geraldo Rivera in Iraq when he almost got them all killed. During his broadcast, he had his photographer aim the camera down at the sand, where he drew a map of their current location in relation to Baghdad. But that's not all! Before a rational human being had time to leap in to kick sand over Geraldo's human bullseye, he went on to diagram the military plans of the division. Like, he drew a line on his map, effectively telling both at-home American viewers and foreign mortal enemies where the 101st was headed next.
A Pentagon spokesman later reported that Geraldo was to be dropped off at the Kuwaiti border, in the desert, completely naked and covered in honey.
Geraldo Rivera Gets Heckled Out of Occupy Wall Street
The young whippersnappers skipping work and showers to Occupy Wall Street were never exactly in Geraldo Rivera's target demographic. Still, he and his Fox News news crew looked uncomfortable if not embarrassed in October 2011 when they tried to enter the protestors' camp. The unwashed and undoctrinated masses surrounded Rivera's crew chanting, simply, "Fox News lies." After a few awkward moments and sheepish martyr smiles, Geraldo and his team fled. To accompany their departure, the crowed began a new chant: "Hey, hey, hey, goodbye."
Geraldo Rivera Gets Nose Broken by White Supremacist on His Own Show
OK, I've got one. Stop me if you've heard it:
What do white supremacists, black activists, anti-racist skinheads, and Jews have in common?
On Nov. 3, 1988, Rivera invited this motley crüe on stage for his tabloid talk show, "Geraldo." (Spoiler alert: This story ends with the show being labeled "Trash TV.") During the episode, a confrontation broke out between White Aryan Resistance (WAR) soldier John Metzger and African-American civil rights activist Roy Ennis. Punches were thrown, chairs were hurled, stagehands were brought in... and Geraldo's nose was broken.
On the plus side, ratings for the show went through the roof as news of the fight attracted viewers to the episode before it even aired. On the downside, it earned the show the aforementioned "Trash TV" moniker. Oh well. There's no such thing as bad publicity, right? As you probably know, Geraldo never regained an ounce of respect.
L The List