G Options B Comments & Embed
- 1The most recent entry, and the inspiration for this list, while it is not a singing gaffe, Katy Perry should be slapped on the wrist for trying to convince us that one, a recorder is a flute, and two that she has any talent other than looking pretty and bouncing nicely.
Ah, who am I kidding, I don't care.
Just bat those eyelashes at me a few times or bounce up and down on a ball while wearing cleavage-heavy shirts like in this gif.
Watch Ashlee Simpson lip sync screw up on SNL in Music | View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com
Ashlee Simpson is known for many things: being related to Jessica Simpson, being now (sadly) hotter than Jessica Simpson, having a nose job, being married to that guy from that one band, oh and being a singer (sort of).
Also known as the "jig seen round the world", Simpson will go down as one of the worst musical guests in Saturday Night Live history. Forever.
She was on, "performing" to promote her new album, when the backing track stopped working and she did the only thing that popped into her cute little MILFy brain, dance her way off stage. Big ups go to her band, though, that went on to show that they don't need to fake it and just played the actual song for a while.
- 3Ah LiLo. This is what everyone calls her on the internet -- probably just to try and make her sound a little more like an actually-relatable little girl with family problems.
She was, at one time, all that I could think about. Remember how cute she was in "Mean Girls"? Her flowing red hair. Her rockin' bod. Her amazing singing voice. Ok, maybe not the last part. Being that she was raised to diva status by the demi-Gods at Disney, she had to have a CD of inane, pointless, cakemold music put out at some point (a CD, I should mention, that was given to me as a gift. A joke gift that I just happened to listen to a few hundred times).
It actually wasn't all that bad, of course it's pretty easy to tell that it wasn't really her voice. There was no trace of the years of cigarette/whiskey/crack abuse or any stray whistling from her previously-drug-damaged teeth in any of her tones.
So it isn't too much of a surprise that when she went on Good Morning America and missed a few syllables here and there and wasn't on mic for a few verses, but sounded fantastic anyway. After all, they will just edit it out in post right? Wait, what do you mean it's live?
- 4Though they certainly weren't the first people to be caught lip-syncing, Milli Vanilli is probably the most scandalous. It wasn't just because they used backing tracks during all of their performances, it was because it was not even their voices that you heard on the album. The supposed frontmen, Robert Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan, never sang on a single track of the first album. It was all sung by a group of people that the producer deemed too unattractive to be seen.
The above video shows one of the first times it became apparent that the duo were not actually singing during performances. It wasn't until after the group won a Grammy for Best New Artist in 1990 that it came to light that they were in fact duping America. And ever since then, the Grammys have been really meaningful and a bastion of recognition of the greatest talents in music...
The whole thing didn't go over well with anyone and they had their Grammy revoked and were then sued to give back all funds generated by their record and concert sales in a class action lawsuit.
At least they didn't try to blame it on the rain. Amirite ladies?
- 5Another of the Mouse House crew, Tisdale came into this world through the same gaping "High School Musical" vagina that also gave birth to Zac David Alexander Efron. Like most of these artists, I am sure that one of the reasons she uses background tracks is because her actual voice needs as much vocal reconstructive surgery as Bruce Jenner's face.
- 650 can take a bullet, but it seems that he has some trouble staying on cue for his performances. It's not really his fault though considering he wanted to keep going -- it's just that the track decided against it.
He did cover it well, though. "Just strut around until tech can get everything back on track, 50. You got this. Just keep going..."
I still think he does a better performance with Keenan Cahill:
- 7Probably the easiest of the group to find errors in her performance, Britney Spears seems to be the Queen of not only Pop but also lip syncing. God bless that woman.
The above clip is probably the most controversial, though. In what was supposed to be her triumphant return to the stage, Britney decided to use the time to slump around the stage in an outfit a tad bit too tight for her and poorly mouth her lines like a zombie.
It's like she had to poop the whole time.
One of my favorite clips though has to be this one taken from a fan video of her "Circus" Tour.
You can clearly see that she screams into her mic but no voice is heard. Either they shut down her vocals extremely quickly, or more likely, it was never on to begin with.
- 8Really, this is but one of the 14,639 reasons I dislike Mariah Carey. Not only is she a boring performer who's only real talent is being able to communicate with dogs with her incredably annoying vocal runs, but she is just another self righteous performer who has gone on record as saying she would never lip sync:
While she does make her point in saying that she understands people who have energetic performances who should have backing tracks, she says that if you don't have a good reason to do it, you shouldn't. It just doesn't line up since in the first video from GMA, she is not running around and doing anything that could ever be considered cardiovascular, but she clearly is not singing either. Just makes you think.