< >Show: 5 25
- the list
View as a
- 7Submarine movies are not easy to film -- these are cramped spaces with necessarily bad lighting and an excruciating lack of compelling mis en scene (which is why so much of The Hunt For Red October takes place outside). Here, despite these handicaps, Scott gives us one of the finest moments in both Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington's careers.BUY @ AMAZON
- 6Quentin Tarantino's dialogue is still never subtle, but back in his unproven days, it was downright grating. It'd be very easy for this scene -- in which Dennis Hopper uses anecdotal racism to goad Christopher Walken into murdering him -- to feel forced, or crass, or stupid, but in the hands of Scott, the whole thing is just sublime.BUY @ AMAZON
When you watch it, you'll be uncomfortable, but in the best way possible.
- 5It's not often you see such a well balanced clash of masculinity. There's a whole lot of man happening in this scene -- the hypermasculine NSA agents with something to prove, the (in this film) normally calm Will Smith on the verge of snapping, and the crotchety, old Gene Hackman angry at all these kids on his lawn. It also gave us one of the most memorable lines from a Scott film:BUY @ AMAZON
"You've ruined my whole life!"
"Your life? What life? You live in a f--king jar!"
- 4If you haven't seen this movie, it is 100% guaranteed that you will not see where this is going.BUY @ AMAZON
- 3Fair warning: This is a torture scene, but it's probably the only torture scene on film where you manage to fully support the hero all the way through. The directing is perfect: nothing about this seems real, it's raw, chaotic, voyeuristic insanity. You don't feel an ounce of the victim's pain, only Denzel Washington's grim vindication as he does whatever he needs to get the little girl back.BUY @ AMAZON
Yeah, it's cliches, and yeah it's base archetypes, but that was Scott's field. It doesn't matter that the path he walked was well trodden because he walked it better than anyone had before.
items 1 - 5 of 7
got a blog or website?
iPad users, go Landscape for the best experience!