Here is a list of the creepiest non-human invaders that could end up living inside you, sometimes without your knowledge. This list of horrifying things found living inside people includes insects, other bugs, worms, sperm, fis-- wait, what? Sperm?
Yes. Sperm. Squid sperm to be specific. Click through the list below to find out what kinds of creepy creatures have been found living inside humans, and could one day end up inside you.
Doctors Find Cockroach Living In Woman's Skull
In a true nightmare-come-to-life, doctors in India discovered a living cockroach in a woman's skull after she complained of a "crawling sensation" inside her head. According to news reports, the cockroach entered the woman's nose as she slept and bore a path underneath her skin up to her skull.
The woman said she could feel a weird burning sensation and had to wait until the morning to go see the doctor. The cockroach was alive and "didn't want to come out," according to the doctors.
Woman's Mouth Impregnated by Squid Sperm
Many people have hang-ups about eating "raw" seafood. Whether for health reasons or some other aversion, to each his or her own. But one 63 year-old woman got something else disgusting when she ate some partially cooked squid in South Korea in June 2012. As she bit into a part of the delicious dish - which still had its organs intact - she felt a "pricking and foreign-body sensation" in her mouth. She spat it out.
But she was too late. Pods of squid semen had already shot into her mouth, impregnating the mucous membranes of her tongue, cheek, and gums. Doctors later removed the "twelve small, white spindle-shaped, bug-like organisms" called spermatophores and also identified a sperm sack. They didn't have eyes or little baby tentacles or anything, but still, the products of animal sperm were living inside her mouth.
This wasn't the first case of this happening, either. In December 2011, another poor sap got this report from the doctor: The sperm bags of the squid had thrust into the squamous epithelium (inner lining) of the patient's hard palate (roof of the mouth). The remaining part of the raw squid consisted of the testis and the sperm bags.
Botfly Lays Eggs in 5 Year-Old's Eyeball
There are few things worse than getting something in your eye. On the bright side, the temporary blindness is usually easy to alleviate. Simply remove the eyelash, piece of glitter, speck of dust, whatever, and go on about your day. For one 5 year-old boy in Honduras, however, the solution was a bit more complicated (and expensive). That's because the thing in his eye was a Human Botfly. Do yourself a favor and never, ever Google "botfly." And for the love of kittens, do NOT then click "Images."
These little buggers are very selfish. The lady botfly lays her eggs on the outside of another living creature (like a mosquito) that will drop them onto bigger animals so that when the eggs hatch, the larvae can squirm inside the host to brew. Some species of botfly prefer to burrow inside warm-blooded animals, like squirrels, horses, and human people.
A visit from a botfly parasite is usually not that hard to fix - a simple surgical procedure will do the trick. But the larva living inside the Honduran boy's face was both "late-stage" and camped out in his anterior orbit. That meant the surgery required a Buñuel-style incision on the old conjunctiva.
Retroactive spoiler alert: Don't read this if you just ate.
Fish Swims Up 14 Year-Old's Peehole
I'm sure you've heard of that little fish (the candirú) that will swim into your peehole if you ever whip it out in the Amazon. It's real - and a real good reason to never whip it out in the Amazon. But there's another, related story that you should know. Think of it as a cautionary tale about handling exotic pets.
In India, a 14 year-old-boy went to the hospital complaining of pain in his bladder and an inability to urinate. The doctors did an ultrasound and discovered an object in the bladder, blocking his urethra. The boy was taken to surgery where the doctors cut him open. Can you guess what they found?
The fish was 2 cm long and lodged all the way up inside his bladder. And here comes the best part. When asked how it got there, this was the boy's answer:
While he was cleaning the fish tank in his house, he was holding a fish in his hand and went to the toilet for passing urine. While he was passing urine, the fish slipped from his hand and entered his urethra and then he developed all these symptoms.
After surgery, the boy was released, but taken to psychiatric counseling.