- 8 ReRanks
- 2 See list ranked by
G Options B Comments & Embed 2rerank list
- 1+ 199- 76Germany's Kraftwerk is arguably among the very best when it comes to influential electronic music. With a signature style that also includes some pretty awesome hooks, Kraftwerk remains a leader in the genre, influencing everyone from David Bowie to Afrika Bambaataa.
- 2+ 182- 87Depeche Mode deserves a place on any list that includes pioneers of electronic music, particularly electro-pop. This British band, fronted by the brilliant David Gahan, has recorded heavily synthesized tunes that range from the upbeat (early Depeche) to the brooding and dark (later years). Depeche remains hugely popular today. Bands like The Crystal Method cite Depeche Mode as a massive influence.
- 3+ 131- 60The British alternative/electronic band New Order burst onto the scene in the 1980s, putting out a series of mainstream hit songs that remain a staple on radio today. New Order became extremely influential - the band's unique blend of electronic dance and new wave music spawned a host of other acts. New Order was also part of the alt dance supergroup Electronic, which featured members (or former members) of the Pet Shop Boys, the Smiths, and - lo and behold - a former member of Kraftwerk.
- 4+ 196- 114The Grammy Award-winning French duo Daft Punk collaborate to create innovative and fascinating electronic music that not only thrills critics, but also fans. Daft Punk is still collaborating with mainstream artists like Kanye West and the duo also composed the movie soundtrack for the 2010 film "Tron: Legacy." If you ever get the opportunity to check out a Daft Punk live show, do it. Move Heaven and Earth to get there - you won't be disappointed!
- 5+ 102- 47Omitting Jean-Michel Jarre from any list involving the most influential music pioneers would simply be a crime of epic proportions. This French composer and musician has put out decades of incredible, melodic electronic music. He's also given stunning concert performances, particularly in the 1970s (where he achieved mainstream success).
- 6+ 102- 56No list of influential electronic music pioneers would be complete without the great Brian Eno and his brilliant ambient music. Eno's solo work (after Roxy Music) is considered by many to be a positively dazzling example of ambient music. Eno's influences run deep - Aphex Twin comes to mind immediately.
- 7+ 97- 52The electronic musician Aphex Twin (aka Richard David James), is a tremendously successful contemporary electronic musician. Influences from Kraftwerk to Tangerine Dream can easily be heard in the music, which runs the gamut from ambient techno to trance and, of course, electronica.
- 8+ 89- 47