L The List
- 1There are so many famous lines from Casablanca, but there is one quote that has become part of pop culture "Play it again Sam". You hear it in movies, in passing conversations, in songs, all over...only one problem they never said it in the movie. They do say something similar, when Ingrid Bergman's character Ilsa comes to Rick's bar she recognizes the piano player Sam. She calls him over and says "Play it once Sam, for old times sake." Then she says "Play it Sam, play As Time Goes By." The line is often credited to Bogart but he never says anything close to it, the only line regarding the song would be when he yells, "You played it for her, you can play it for me…If she can stand it, I can. Play it!" But never once does anyone utter the famous "Play it again Sam" line.also ranked#3 OF 44 The Best Movies About Unrequited Love#17 OF 3957 The Best Movies of All Time#17 OF 130 The Greatest World War II Movies of All Time#48 OF 345 The Greatest Chick Flicks
- 2"Luke, I am your father" commonly believed to have been said by Darth Vader, this quote did not actually occur at all. The actual quote was "No, I am your father" and it was not even delivered on camera – it was dubbed in later; what was originally said on camera was "Obi-Wan killed your father".also ranked#1 OF 83 The Best Geek Movies#1 OF 78 The Greatest Movie Themes#4 OF 3957 The Best Movies of All Time#9 OF 125 The Best Oscar-Winning Scores
- 3"Beam Me Up Scotty!" Nope, never happened Kirk didn't say it the closest he ever came was "Scotty, beam me up".also RANKED
- 4"Mirror, mirror on the wall...who is the fairest of them all?" Classic Snow White quote; it's just not the quote that's said in the story. That's getting ready to change, as there's an influx of Snow White remakes coming out in 2012, all of which plan to capitalize on the original's most iconic (if absent) line. One is even called "Mirror Mirror!" Judging from trailers, the evil queen in both films will say "mirror, mirror on the wall," even though originally the line was "Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"also RANKED
- 5"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto." or "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" or even the very stripped down version of "We're not in Kansas anymore" all of them are wrong. The actual line said by Dorthy is "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."also ranked#6 OF 305 The Best Fantasy Movies#7 OF 125 The Best Oscar-Winning Scores#10 OF 69 The Best Movies for Tweens#50 OF 3957 The Best Movies of All Time
- 6Mae West was the original bad girl sex symbol. She's known for some pretty great one liners...one that's attributed to her is "Why, don't you come up and see me sometime?" from the movie She Done Him Wrong, you can even hear Steven Tyler doing his best Mae West impression in the song "Rag Doll" but this is another case of flipped wordage. The line actually is "Why don't you come up some time n'see me, I'm home every evening."