G Options B Comments & Embed
- One of the most vocal celebrities about weight loss surgery, Carnie had Gastric Bypass in 1999, broadcasting the procedure live on the internet. As a result, Carnie went from a size 28 to a size 6 and lost 150 pounds. In 2003 she posed nude for Playboy to display her new figure. Carnie later toured TV talk shows and hosted her own infomercial to publicize her satisfaction with the procedure.
New Gastric Plication is a stomach reduction procedure that involves no device or resection; same weight loss as the RNY Gastric Bypass that Carnie received, but has less risk of complication and only a 1-2 night hospital stay.
- Sharon Osbourne had Gastric Bypass surgery in 1999 and lost over 100 pounds. In 2010 she told People Magazine she was planning on reversing the surgery so that she could learn to control her eating issues on her own.
In 2014 Sharon spoke with Entertainment Tonight and said, "I felt like such a cheat when I had that band on my stomach. It makes you vomit the whole time. Nothing goes down because it goes out." She had the band removed in 2006.
- Contestant of the Spring 2011 Celebrity Apprentice, Star admitted to her 2003 Gastric Bypass surgery in 2007, after having denied the surgery for several years. The surgery resulted in a loss of 160 pounds over three years. People considering weight loss surgery are often (justifiably) nervous about the stomach resection and intestinal rerouting involved -- aspects of the procedure that can lead to anemia, bone and hair loss, 'dumping syndrome', as well as the rare but potentially fatal complication of a stomach leak.
- Brian’s successful film, television and and stage career spans over 25 years, and has earned him two Tony’s and six Emmy nominations. He had LAP-BAND® surgery prior to 2009.
- Roseanne Barr, whose hit TV show, Roseanne, ran for 9 successful seasons on TV, underwent gastric bypass surgery in 1998. At one time she tipped the scales at over 350 pounds. Now weighing 168 pounds after losing nearly 200 pounds Barr is slim and trim.
- Randy is the only one of the original American Idol judges still evaluating young singers each week. Fans of the show have seen Randy shrink, losing 113 pounds after Gastric Bypass surgery in 2003.
- Lead singer of the band Blues Traveler, John had Gastric Bypass surgery in 1999 after having a severe heart attack brought on by years of overeating. He lost over 200 pounds, about half of his old body weight.
- In 2002, Al had gastric bypass surgery after failing at numerous diet attempts. Eight months after the surgery, the weather man reported he had dropped 100 pounds off his 320-pound figure, and whittled his waist from 54 inches to 40. In 2010 he ran in the New York City Marathon.