- 6Up 1Down 1
Segway To HeavenJimi Heselden was the owner of the Segway company and an avid practitioner of the two-wheel motorized scooters the company produces. A multi-millionaire, he owned an estate in the countryside of England, and there would ride the rugged country version of the Segway. That particular contraption (as seen to your left) contained such luxuries as a mudguard and extra wide tires with deep treads for going off the road, cause there's nothing like offroading in a scooter.
But one day, while going "off-roading" on the rugged Segway, he literally went off the road and drove off a 80 foot cliff down to his death.
Click here for the full story.
Special thanks to Ariel Kana
- 7Up 1Down 1
Obviously, Golf Helmets Need to Become a "Thing"You remember that episode of Tom and Jerry where they play golf and someone gets hit in the head by a wayward tee shot? You laughed at the absurdity of it all then, but it's not so funny now, because Maurice Hayden is dead from that exact situation, minus the feuding cat and mouse.
The story doesn't really go much deeper than that, other than the fact that the person shooting was not charged with anything, is apparently great at the game and that part of the standard for anyone cleaning up after rich white people hitting a small, dimpled ball around for half a day should be wearing a helmet at all times.
- 8Up 0Down 0
Dr. Santa Gets Stuck in a ChimneyYou may think that no one's stupid enough to try to break into a house by way of the chimney anymore, but Dr. (seriously) Jaquelene Kotarac thought she might give it a try, regardless of logic or common sense.
Did she manage to get into her boyfriend's house? Well, technically, yes, so mission accomplished. Her ex spent the night somewhere else, so nobody could hear her calling for help or saying anything.
The woman was a little, um, well-endowed, so she got lodged about 2 feet from the opening of the fireplace. The pressure on her chest was so much that her lungs couldn't expand, so she suffocated rather quickly.
She was finally found by a house sitter while investigating a weird smell, when they spotted fluids (gross) leaking from the unused chimney.
- 9Up 0Down 0
Pest Control Overkill (Well, Triple Kill)Most people would just lay down some glue traps or call that weird looking exterminator from TV, but a man in the Ukraine this year thought he was being a creative pest controller by attaching a hose to his car's tailpipe and running it into his basement.
After a few hours of reveling in his genius, he went to the basement door to inspect his work (without turning off the engine), and was promptly knocked unconscious by the carbon monoxide halfway down the stairs.
His wife then went after him when he didn't return, and was also suffocated. You may think that that's enough deaths-in-a-row for one family, but it was carried along by both granddaughters, with one dying and the other coming close, being the sole survivor of this horrible, horrible accident.
- 10Up 0Down 2
The World Sauna Championships 2010Finland: a place with little to nothing to do other than watch Conan O'Brien reruns, and where anything (make that temperatures, activities, anything) warmer than below-freezing sounds pleasant.
Only in Finland would you have a World Sauna Championship. Well, that's where it was held, at least, in its 11th and final year, 2010.
A little background: the event's rules state that people cannot touch themselves, each other and that they have to wear normal bathing suits in this test of endurance. The beginning temperature in this crazy endurance challenge? Try and guess. 100 degrees? Maybe 150? Try 230 degrees Faranheit, baby!
Every 30 seconds half a liter of water would be dropped, creating more steam, making it hotter.
This event had a Japanese audience of about 40 million and was held yearly in a country where snow made something like this a welcome relief.
In 2010, Vladimir Ladyzhensky, a Russian competitor, died. It seems Vlad couldn't take the heat in the finals, though that heat was 230F, and after six minutes he promptly died.
The man who came in second had third degree burns over 70% of his body, scorched his respiratory system, had kindey failure and is, to this day, not getting a gym membership anytime soon."
items 6 - 10 of 10
today on Ranker
start a list with results
close sorting window
use the search box to filter your list