L The List
- 1A favorite of mine. Yes, it has singing and long stretches of nothing happening. However, this helped to spawn the fantasy genre. As well as being the inspiration for many many more fantasies that have come out since. Without this novel (and I mean novel, not novels. The story was suppose to be one long book not chopped into three.) the fantasy genre would be a shadow of what it is now.BUY @ AMAZON
- 2I thought that all fantasy was about warriors and wizards. Then, I was blown away by the story of Tigana. A minstrel and his band fight evil sorcerers to bring back a forgotten land. It is a complex and eye opening novel. An amazing read.BUY @ AMAZON
- 3After Tigana, I read some stuff that wasn't good and I was worried that Kay was the only one who I could go to. Yes, Wheel of Time was good, yet there were some things that were dragging it down. I was worried. Then, I read this mammoth book. Complex and engaging, with a magic system that is astounding and original, this is a fantastic start to an amazing series.BUY @ AMAZON
I never thought that military fantasy was my cup of tea, then I joined up with Whiskeyjack's 7th Compnay Sappers--the main group of characters--and I never looked back.
- 4Sometimes I want serious fantasy with world-building and great stories. And sometimes, you want just a good romp in a well-treaded world.BUY @ AMAZON
This was just a fun read. Set in the D&D world of Faerun, an adventurer seeks a relic in a land of dinosaurs with magic, adventure and goblins.
I could say more about the story or about Faerun, but I think the big draw can be summed up in one word--DINOSAURS!
- 5You think Pirates of the Caribbean was good, wait until you read this! Time Powers is one of the best fantasy writers I have ever read. And, that is why he is on here twice. Also, the story is a great read.BUY @ AMAZON
And, it has pirates in it! Come on, PIRATES!
- 6Tim Powers here has written a powerful novel, one that brings together the Fischer King mythos--think King Arthur with more power--poker and the capital of sin, Las Vegas! He weaves a story of magic, poker and the tarot in a way that is truly interesting, amazing and...a little frightening.BUY @ AMAZON
items 1 - 6 of 10