G Options B Comments & Embed
Tyler just doesn't learn lessons it seems. On January 22nd 2012 he came out and opened the 2012 AFC Championship game between the New England Patriots and the Baltimore Ravens with a particularly shrill version of the national anthem. In the words of his fellow "American Idol" judge, Randy Jackson, It's a little pitchy dawg.
Adding his signature harmonica to his act definitely didn't go over well for Aerosmith frontman and "American Idol" judge Steven Tyler as he struggled through the national anthem prior to the Indianapolis 500 on May 27, 2001. But wait, it gets worse. Tyler decided to change the words at the end. He apologized the next day.
- 2Singing the iconic song prior to the pay-per-view boxing match between Bernard Hopkins and Jermain Taylor on July 16, 2005, R&B singer R. Kelly put a whole bunch of soul into his national anthem performance. Kelly attempted to model his version like that of the Marvin Gaye's epic 1983 NBA All-Star Game rendition, but the crowd was not having it. Yep, those are boos you're hearing at the end, and for good reason.
- 3Pro tip: If you're going to mess up singing the national anthem, do not do it on the most-watched television program of the entire year, the Super Bowl. That's exactly what pop singer Christina Aguilera did at Super Bowl XLV on February 6, 2011, at Cowboys Stadium in Texas. Just before the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers played for the National Football League championship, Aguilera flubbed the lines during the Star Spangled Banner. Yes, the millions watching around the world did notice.
- 4This horrible national anthem performance may be the most confusing of them all. Michael Bolton, along with his perplexed facial expressions, appears at the 2003 American League Championship Series MLB game at Fenway Park to sing the Star Spangled Banner. If you listen closely however you can hear someone else singing with him, about one note early. Was that someone else? Was it a backing track so he wouldn't flub the words? We may never know the answers to these questions but we surely know that whatever the case, this was awful.
- 5Having a lovely singing voice is far from a requirement for those seeking the Democratic nomination for president but for Hillary Clinton in 2008, having a lackluster voice certainly didn't help. Mrs. Clinton wasn't even performing when a stray live microphone picked up her voice singing along to the anthem at an Iowa campaign stop in 2008. Poor Hillary.
- 6I think we can all agree that pop musician Kat DeLuna can sing, but as she shows in this horrible anthem rendition during a 2008 Dallas Cowboys NFL game, sometimes taking things too far can lead to disastrous results. Miss DeLuna starts out well, but soon adds too much soul and sexy to the performance in both her singing and dancing, if you want to call it that. Whatever it was, it was too much.
- 7Though many will argue that actress and singer Zooey Deschanel was uninspired and monotone when singing the Star Spangled Banner at game four of the 2011 MLB World Series in October 2011, really, this is one of the best worst national anthem renditions of all time. Deschanel, who also sings in a band, She & Him, didn't mess up the worlds, nor did she curse, grab herself or do anything else outrageous but still she received a considerable amount of backlash for her performance.
- 8As she proved when attempting to sing the national anthem before a March 31, 2010, NBA game between the Atlanta Hawks and the Los Angeles Lakers, Keri Hilson should perhaps stick to R&B. The singer-songwriter gave it her best when singing the Star Spangled Banner at the basketball game but just a few lines in became confused and flubbed the words. On the bright side, she noticed the mistake, recovered and finished the song with pride.