- 1 ReRank
- 2 See list ranked by
G Options B Comments & Embed 2rerank list
- 1+ 393- 105
Ted BundyTed Bundy embarked on a five year killing spree in 1974 that would not end until his capture in 1979. Bundy confessed to 30 murders on his arrest, though authorities believe the actual death toll is somewhere around 100. He was executed by electrocution in 1989.
- Age: Died at 43 (1946-1989)
- Birthplace: Burlington, Vermont, United States of America
- Profession: Criminal
- 2+ 226- 72
The Zodiac KillerThe Zodiac Killer was responsible for at least five, and as many as 37, people in Northern California between December 1968 and November 1969. In this time the Zodiac, whose identity to this day is still unknown, sent menacing and cryptic messages to local newspapers in and around San Francisco, and continued to send ciphered messages to the newspapers after the killings had stopped. Though many books and articles have named possible suspects, the case remains open and unsolved.
- 3+ 234- 78
John Wayne GacyJohn Wayne Gacy, known as "The Killer Clown", raped, tortured, and murdered at least 33 boys and men between 1972-78 in Chicago, IL. He was discovered by the police to have 29 bodies hidden in the crawl space of his house, and admitted to having killed more men which he disposed of in the river. He was executed by lethal injection in 1994.
- Age: Died at 52 (1942-1994)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- Profession: Clown
- 4+ 247- 86
Jeffrey DahmerBetween 1988-91, Jeffrey Dahmer killed 17 men in Milwaukee, WI before the escape of his would-be 18th victim led to his capture. Dahmer is perhaps best known for dismembering and consuming parts of his victims, many of which were found in his apartment at the time of his arrest. Dahmer died in prison as the result of a work detail beating in 1994.
- Age: Died at 34 (1960-1994)
- Birthplace: West Allis, Wisconsin, United States of America
- Profession: Criminal
- 5+ 145- 54Over the course of nearly 20 years, Gary Ridgway, known as "The Green River Killer", terrorized the areas surrounding the Green River in Washington's King County where he would lure, kill, and dispose of at least 49 victims before his capture in 2001. While the number of confirmed deaths numbers 49, Ridgway confessed to killing as many as 71 women in his interviews after capture. He is currently serving 480 years in a Washington prison without the possibility of parole.
- Age: 66
- Birthplace: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
- 6+ 153- 61Richard Ramirez, "The Night Stalker", went on a killing spree in the Los Angeles area that claimed the lives of at least 13 and as many as 16 in a spree that included shootings, mutilations, and rapes of his actual and intended victims. He was caught in East LA after his mugshot was broadcast across Southern California and he was accosted by a mob in the process of attempting to steal a car. He was tried, convicted, and died at 53 awaiting execution at San Quentin Prison.
- Age: Died at 53 (1960-2013)
- Birthplace: El Paso, Texas, United States of America
- 7+ 171- 74Dr. H.H. Holmes confessed to 27 murders, and is believed to have killed as many as 200 people, during the time period surrounding the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. Holmes ran a hotel equipped for killing- outfitted with gas lines into guest rooms, giant furnaces, lime and acid pits, and large vaults- and would torture, suffocate, and strangle his victims before disposing of them in the facility. Holmes was apprehended in Boston in 1894 and died by hanging in Philadelphia in 1896.
- Age: Died at 35 (1861-1896)
- Birthplace: Gilmanton, New Hampshire, United States of America
- Profession: Physician
- 8+ 124- 51Known as the "BTK Killer" (blind, torture, kill), Dennis Rader was charged with the murders of 10 people in Kansas including four members of a neighboring family and several other he stalked and became obsessed with between the years of 1971-94. In 2004, Rader began communicating with police, even going so far as to send them information on a floppy disk that would eventually be traced back to his residence. Rader was apprehended and charged with the murders and is currently serving ten consecutive life sentences in a Kansas jail.
- Age: 70
- Birthplace: Pittsburg, Kansas, United States of America
- Credits: Feast of the Assumption: BTK and the Otero Family Murders, NBC News Presents: BTK Confessions