One of the most notable military engineers of his time, with fortifications built in Portugal and the Canaries. He arrived in Spain in about 1582 and came to Portugal in about 1590. He designed a quay and defensive tower in Palma, and then was sent to the Canary Islands to design and implement a defensive plan for the islands which a number of north European countries were hoping to capture as bases for commerce and exploration. This project took about six years to set up, and he stayed there more or less permanently. During this time he wrote and published (1594) and important book on the islands. In about 1596 he came to Portugal and oversaw construction of the fort at Viana do Castelo. In Portugal he married Maria Manuela da Cunha Faria, who was the mother of Jo��o Turriano. He became "Engenheiro Mor do Reino" in 1598, a job he kept for 30 years. He reorganized the Tagus defense network and designed the forts of S Juli��o da Barra (Oeiras), the Bugio Fort, and designed schemes for supplying Lisbon with water, and the major church of S Vicente de Fora in Alfama, Lisbon. In brazil, he is accredited with designing fortifications for Salvador (de Bahia). He died in 1528.