Woomera Village is a small, remote, Australian Defence Force Base servicing the RAAF Woomera Test Range in the far north-west pastoral region of South Australia. The base lies within the bounds of the Woomera Prohibited Area and is managed by Defence Support & Reform Group for the Royal Australian Air Force, who manage the whole Woomera Range Complex. "Woomera Village" as it has been unofficially known since its establishment in 1947 as the domestic support base for the Woomera Test Range, is situated in the south-east corner of the WPA. The WPA covers most of South Australia's North-West Outback Pastoral Region, and the defined area of the WPA forms the essential ground area of the Range Complex. The Range was first established in support of the Anglo-Australian Joint Project. This 'cold-war' project focussed on the development of long-range weapons systems, principally to counter the growing intercontinental ballistic missile threat from the former Soviet Union. The 'cold-war' heyday of the Range was 1947 to about 1972. In 1980 the Anglo-Australia Project was closed and the range itself saw little use until about 1991 when the RAAF's Aircraft Research and Development Unit took over the old instrumented range from Defence Science and Technology Organisation. Since that time, the RAAF has gradually assumed full control of the entire facility.