Alot of fans consider the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight trilogy to be the best of all Batman films. But were they the best Batman movies of all time? This list of the greatest Batman films ever is here to declare, in order, which of all Batman movies is really the top Batman film ever made. How can you possibly rank such masterpieces? It's easy - consider the mood, directing, actors, and storylines that the movie creators were able to capture in their films. Which of all of the Batman movies do you feel was most faithful to the original comics or more entertaining than the others? It's unlikely that anyone's answer would be a chronological list, given that the films have continued to build on themselves over time.
Batman has been one of the most popular comic book characters to make the jump to movies. There's also no end in sight to his cinematic appearances, as a new Batman film seems to perpetually be on the horizon. This list has every adventure of the Dark Knight tallied by preference, from Adam West all the way up to Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy with Christian Bale, including the final film, 2012's The Dark Knight Rises. It also includes the animated Batman movies that became popular in the mid-90s. But what is the best Batman movie? Or have you ever wondered how many Batman movies are there? This list will answer both those questions!
Batman films are so iconic and popular that there's even a whole genre of Batman fan films! Many other cultures have translated Batman films into their own languages. FYI there's another list on Ranker of Best Batman Comics, if you're interested.
Vote for your favorite Batman movie titles below on this Batman movies list! And if you're a real fan, check out our list of the best Batman actors who ever donned the batsuit.
- With the help of allies Lt. Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and DA Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman (Christian Bale) has been able to keep a tight lid on crime in Gotham City. But when a vile young ...more
- A young Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) travels to the Far East, where he's trained in the martial arts by Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson), a member of the mysterious League of Shadows. When Ducard reveals ...more
- Having witnessed his parents' brutal murder as a child, millionaire philanthropist Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton) fights crime in Gotham City disguised as Batman, a costumed hero who strikes fear into ...more
- It has been eight years since Batman (Christian Bale), in collusion with Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman), vanished into the night. Assuming responsibility for the death of Harvey Dent, Batman ...more
- The monstrous Penguin (Danny DeVito), who lives in the sewers beneath Gotham, joins up with wicked shock-headed businessman Max Shreck (Christopher Walken) to topple the Batman (Michael Keaton) once ...more
- In this animated feature set in the 1940s, the troubled yet heroic Batman (Kevin Conroy) is pitted against a mysterious figure who is rubbing out Gotham City's most dangerous criminals, and who many ...more
- Batman: Under the Red Hood is a 2010 American superhero film produced by Warner Bros. Animation and released by Warner Home Video. It is the eighth animated feature in the DC Universe Animated ...more
- The Batman is a 2022 American comic book action movie directed by Matt Reeves. The Riddler plays a deadly game of cat and mouse with Batman and Commissioner Gordon in Gotham City.
- In the Gotham City of the future, an older Bruce Wayne (Kevin Conroy) trains a college student, Terry McGinnis (Will Friedle), to replace him as Batman. Meanwhile, the Joker (Mark Hamill) has ...more
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 is an animated film.
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is a two-part direct-to-video animated superhero film, an adaptation of the 1986 comic book The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and serves as a sequel to 2011's ...more
- There are big changes brewing in Gotham, but if Batman (Will Arnett) wants to save the city from the Joker's (Zach Galifianakis) hostile takeover, he may have to drop the lone vigilante thing, try to ...more
- Kaaapowie! Holy feature film, Batman ... one based on the tongue-in-cheek, campy 1960's television series. Watch Batman (Adam West) and Robin (Burt Ward) battle sharks, Catwoman, The Joker and The ...more
- Batman: Assault on Arkham is a 2014 direct-to-video animated superhero film that is part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Jay Oliva and Ethan Spaulding direct, with a script by Heath ...more
- Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is a direct-to-video animated film adaptation of the 2011 comic book crossover "Flashpoint" by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert. It is scripted by Jim Krieg and ...more
- Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman's selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists newfound ally Diana Prince to face an even greater threat. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work ...more
- Batman: Year One is a 2011 animated superhero film based on the four-issue story arc Batman: Year One printed in 1987. It premiered at Comic-Con on July 22 and was officially released October 18, ...more
- Vandal Savage uses stolen information from Batman's secret files to mastermind a plan to exterminate the Justice League.
- Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is a 2009 original direct-to-video animated superhero film adaptation of "Public Enemies"—the opening story arc of DC Comics' Superman/Batman—which focuses on Superman ...more
- The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest is a 1997 animated feature comprised of the Superman: The Animated Series 3-part episode "World's Finest" released on VHS and DVD. It depicts the first ...more
- Justice League: War is an upcoming direct-to-video animated superhero film, an adaptation of Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's 2011 Justice League: Origin storyline. It was directed by Jay Oliva and scripted ...more
- Son of Batman is a direct-to-video animated superhero film which is part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies. It is an adaptation of Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert's 2006 Batman and Son ...more
- Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero is a 1998 direct-to-video animated feature film, the second based on Batman: The Animated Series, serving as a stand-alone sequel to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It won ...more
- Batman: Hush is a 2019 animated superhero film directed by Justin Copeland, based on the comic book story arc of the same name. A mysterious criminal known as Hush (Maury Sterling) is determined to ...more
- Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is a 2010 direct-to-video animated superhero film based on the Superman/Batman comic storyline "The Supergirl from Krypton" and is a sequel to Superman/Batman: Public ...more