These are the best roles and performances ever given by American actor Clint Eastwood, who started his career in TV, went on to become one of the screen's most iconic Western heroes and action stars, and eventually became an internationally recognized and lauded film director. Since his heydey in the 1960s and 70s, Eastwood has portrayed a variety of roles and demonstrated a lot of range, but he will likely forever be associated with the steely, stoic, tough guy parts that originally brought him fame.
Though in the later stages of his career, Eastwood primarily directed himself - in films like Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, Blood Work, and True Crime - he has also worked with many of the most esteemed and legendary filmmakers of the second half of the 20th century. The "spaghetti westerns" that rocketed him to international fame in the 1960s were the work of Italian master Sergio Leone. He collaborated with Don Siegel on five films in the 1960s and 70s, most famously the gritty cop film Dirty Harry, introducing a character that kicked off an long-standing franchise and became one of Eastwood's signature roles. Eastwood is also known for his roles in war movies (just check out our Clint Eastwood filmography for a full list of all his movies).
Eastwood's final major role in a film he did not himself direct was in Wolfgang Peterson's 1993 Secret Service thriller In the Line of Fire. He later appeared in a small cameo role in Brad Silberling's big-screen adaptation of Casper the Friendly Ghost, Casper.
Vote below for your favorite films starring Clint Eastwood. And if you think his best performance (outside a Chrysler ad) isn't represented, make your own version of the list and add it there yourself! But first, you just have to ask yourself one question... Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
- 59690The Outlaw Josey Wales is a 1976 American revisionist Western film. It was directed by and... more
- 57886Unforgiven is a 1992 American Western film produced and directed by Clint Eastwood with a... more
- 703121The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a 1966 Italian epic Spaghetti Western film directed by... more
- 55885Dirty Harry is a 1971 American action film produced and directed by Don Siegel, the first in... more
- 42259High Plains Drifter is a 1973 American film directed by and starring Clint Eastwood, written... more
- 55788Gran Torino is a 2008 American drama film directed and produced by Clint Eastwood, who also... more
- 45685A Fistful of Dollars, titled on-screen as Fistful of Dollars, is a 1964 spaghetti western film... more
- 39864Pale Rider is a 1985 American western film produced and directed by Clint Eastwood, who also... more
- 42073For a Few Dollars More is a 1965 Italian spaghetti western film directed by Sergio Leone and... more
- 31570Escape from Alcatraz is a 1979 American prison film, directed by Don Siegel and starring Clint... more
- 29254Hang 'Em High is a 1968 American Western film directed by Ted Post and produced and co-written... more
- 28671Kelly's Heroes is a 1970 comedy film directed by Brian G. Hutton, about a group of WWII... more
- 31385Magnum Force is a 1973 American action film and the second to feature Clint Eastwood as... more
- 27762Heartbreak Ridge is a 1986 American film directed and produced by Clint Eastwood, who also... more
- 33594Million Dollar Baby is a 2004 American sports drama film directed, co-produced and scored by... more
- 28085In the Line of Fire is a 1993 American action thriller film directed by Wolfgang Petersen, and... more
- 26579Every Which Way but Loose is a 1978 American adventure comedy film, released by Warner... more
- 24254Two Mules for Sister Sara is an American-Mexican western film starring Shirley MacLaine set... more
- 22054The Gauntlet is a 1977 American action film directed by Clint Eastwood, starring Eastwood and... more
- 25077The Enforcer is a 1976 American action film and the third in the Dirty Harry film series.... more
- 19440Sudden Impact is a 1983 American action film and the fourth film in the Dirty Harry series,... more
- 23967Where Eagles Dare is a 1968 WWII action film starring Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood and Mary... more
- 19778This film is a 1988 American action flim directed by Buddy Van Horn, written by Steve Sharon,... more
- 19169Any Which Way You Can is a 1980 American action comedy film, starring Clint Eastwood, Sondra... more
- 18655Play Misty for Me is a 1971 American psychological thriller film, directed by and starring... more