Some of the greatest characters in literature are women and girls, but which ones are the very best? From the evil to the undeniably perfect, the always strong to those who those who never give up, these are the greatest female characters from literature of all genres. This list includes the best female characters of all ages, like the youthful girls Matilda (Matilda) and Hermione Granger (Harry Potter) to the ever-so-adult Evelyn Couch (Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe). We're even ranking immortal female characters, like Galadriel from Lord of the Rings and the goddess Athena you read about in Greek mythology.
Why do female literary characters stay with readers long after they’ve finished reading the novels these characters are featured in? Often, it’s due to the intimacy with which readers have come to know a character. Jane Eyre (and all of her desires and feelings), for example, becomes so real to readers that they feel as if they’ve met and understood this amazing female character. So many people relate to fiery, independent Jo March that her marriage at the end of Little Women feels like a betrayal - something the 2019 film adaptation addresses head-on.
Other times, readers love female characters in literature because of the audacity of their actions. Scarlett O’Hara (Gone with the Wind) was exceedingly bold for a woman of her time, while Madame Defarge (A Tale of Two Cities) is an exemplar of tireless villainy. Some of the most popular female literary characters manage to embody both wholesome and defiant, becoming reflections of the complex nature of women.
For the wide range of personality traits we find in these great female characters (and the audacious actions they’ve performed), these women have earned their titles as the best female characters in literature. They may be young or old, charming or black-hearted, but they are all memorable. Whether you love them or love to hate them, all the famous fictional heroines are here in this list of the best female characters in literary history.
- 1,908623Alea was an epithet of the Greek goddess Athena, prominent in Arcadian mythology, under which... more
- 4,9911,778Elizabeth Darcy is the protagonist in the 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. She... more
- 3,1731,001Jo March is a fictional character from the 1868 novel Little Women.T he principal character,... more
- 2,844840Mary Poppins is a fictional character and the protagonist of P. L. Travers' Mary Poppins books... more
- 3,221950Matilda Wormwood is a fictional character from the 1996 comedy fantasy film Matilda.... more
- 4,325720Minerva McGonagall is a fictional character from Harry Potter literary series.... more
- 2,8001,082Jane Eyre is the heroine of Charlotte Brontë's 1847 novel of the same name.... more
- 3,2131,104Scout Finch is a fictional character from To Kill a Mockingbird.... more
- 3,3271,419Alicia is a fictional character from the 1976 film Alicia en el país de las maravillas.... more
- 3,0281,209Éowyn is a fictional character in J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium, who appears in his most... more
- 7,1682,924Hermione Jean Granger is a fictional character in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. She... more
- 1,467528Artemis was one of the most widely venerated of the Ancient Greek deities. Her Roman... more
- 2,313681Anne Shirley is a fictional character introduced in the 1908 novel Anne of Green Gables by... more
- 4,2991,148Luna Lovegood is a fictional character from the Harry Potter series written by J.K. Rowling.... more
- 4,1381,743Katniss Everdeen is a fictional character and the protagonist of The Hunger Games trilogy by... more
- 1,899817Dorothy Gale is a fictional character and protagonist of many of the Oz novels by the American... more
- 1,806838Galadriel is a character created by J.R.R. Tolkien, appearing in his Middle-earth legendarium.... more
- 2,166582Molly Weasley (nￃﾩe Prewett) is a fictional character in the Harry Potter book series written... more
- 2,4861,169Game of Thrones
Daenerys Targaryen is a fictional character of the book Game of Thrones.... more
- 1,476664Arwen Undómiel is a fictional character in J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium. She appears in his... more
- 3,0641,188Arya Stark is a fictional character created by American author George R. R. Martin. She is a... more
- 1,9131,206Scarlett O'Hara is the central character in Margaret Mitchell's 1936 novel Gone with the Wind... more
TheogonyAphrodite is the Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and procreation. Her Roman... more
- 677271Jane Marple, usually referred to as Miss Marple, is a fictional character appearing in 12 of... more