If you have kids, you know you are always on the lookout for a kids movie that they will love and that you can sit through without clawing your own soul out. These are famous kids movies that transcend the whole kids-are-idiots-and-therefore-must-be-talked-down-to trap that many movie makers seem to fall into when it comes to family fare. This list of the best movies for kids offers some great suggestions for keeping the little ones happy. And who knows? You might enjoy them, too! Be sure to vote for the kids' movies you like the most, and vote down any you don't.
What makes a great kids movie? Two words: Great animation. Many of the best children's movies ever are animated films, with wonderful characters, a great story line and outstanding animation work. Several movies listed here are among the top 50 greatest animated films of all time (not surprisingly).
Need examples? Choose any Pixar movie. No, really, *any* movie ever made my Pixar. The greatest Pixar characters are instant classics, beloved by children young and old. Another great example: holiday movies. Check out this list of the best Halloween movies for kids, and you'll see.
If you're looking for other ideas, you might find success with some well-known and popular children's books with movie adaptations. Don't forget that the best Disney princess movies are all great for children of all ages, too. And of course, some of the greatest animal movies ever made are often fantastic children's films. Many of these movies are also popular kids movies on Netflix. Now, check out the list of best kids movies below and vote up those you think deserve the top spots.
- Monsters, Inc. is a CGI animated film series and Disney media franchise that began with the 2001 film, Monsters, Inc., produced by Pixar and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. The original film was ...more
- Remy (Patton Oswalt), a resident of Paris, appreciates good food and has quite a sophisticated palate. He would love to become a chef so he can create and enjoy culinary masterpieces to his heart's ...more
- When street rat Aladdin frees a genie from a lamp, he finds his wishes granted. However, he soon finds that the evil has other plans for the lamp -- and for Princess Jasmine. But can Aladdin save ...more
- When the kingdom's most-wanted bandit, Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi), hides in a convenient tower, he immediately becomes a captive of Rapunzel (Mandy Moore), the spire's longtime resident. Crowned with ...more
- Madagascar is a computer-animated franchise produced by DreamWorks Animation. Voices of Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer and Jada Pinkett Smith are featured in the films. It began with the ...more
- An adventurous teenager sails out on a daring mission to save her people. During her journey, Moana meets the once-mighty demigod Maui, who guides her in her quest to become a master way-finder. ...more
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians, often written 101 Dalmatians, is a 1961 American animated adventure film produced by Walt Disney Productions and adapted from Dodie Smith's 1956 novel of the same ...more
- Toy Story is a CGI animated film series and Disney media franchise that began with the original 1995 film, Toy Story, produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The ...more
- The Hotel Transylvania franchise consists of two theatrical films produced by Sony Pictures Animation and distributed by Columbia Pictures, and several video games. A third theatrical film and a ...more
- Riley (Kaitlyn Dias) is a happy, hockey-loving 11-year-old Midwestern girl, but her world turns upside-down when she and her parents move to San Francisco. Riley's emotions -- led by Joy (Amy ...more
- Emmet (Chris Pratt), an ordinary LEGO figurine who always follows the rules, is mistakenly identified as the Special -- an extraordinary being and the key to saving the world. He finds himself ...more
- Marlin (Albert Brooks), a clown fish, is overly cautious with his son, Nemo (Alexander Gould), who has a foreshortened fin. When Nemo swims too close to the surface to prove himself, he is caught by ...more
- The How to Train Your Dragon franchise (also referred to as simply HTTYD) from DreamWorks Animation consists of two feature films How to Train Your Dragon (2010) and How to Train Your Dragon 2 ...more
- The Lilo & Stitch film franchise consists of four films, created by Walt Disney Studios. The series was conceived in 2002 under directors Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders. Between these and other ...more
- Home Alone (stylized as HOME ALONe) is a series of family comedy films directed by Chris Columbus (1 & 2), Raja Gosnell (3), Rod Daniel (4) and Peter Hewitt (5). The first two films, Home Alone ...more
- WALL-E, short for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-class, is the last robot left on Earth. He spends his days tidying up the planet, one piece of garbage at a time. But during 700 years, WALL-E has ...more
- A magical board game unleashes a world of adventure on siblings Peter (Bradley Pierce) and Judy Shepherd (Kirsten Dunst). While exploring an old mansion, the youngsters find a curious, jungle-themed ...more
- The Shrek franchise from DreamWorks Animation, based on William Steig's picture book Shrek!, consists of four computer-animated films including: Shrek (2001), Shrek 2 (2004), Shrek the Third (2007), ...more
- This Disney animated feature follows the adventures of the young lion Simba (Jonathan Taylor Thomas), the heir of his father, Mufasa (James Earl Jones). Simba's wicked uncle, Scar (Jeremy Irons), ...more
- Cars is a CGI-animated film series and Disney media franchise set in a world populated by anthropomorphic vehicles. The franchise began with the 2006 film, Cars, produced by Pixar Animation Studios ...more
- Fearful that her ailing father will be drafted into the Chinese military, Mulan (Ming-Na Wen) takes his spot -- though, as a girl living under a patriarchal regime, she is technically unqualified to ...more
- Carl Fredricksen (Ed Asner), a 78-year-old balloon salesman, is about to fulfill a lifelong dream. Tying thousands of balloons to his house, he flies away to the South American wilderness. But ...more
- In this lauded Pixar animated film, married superheroes Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) and Elastigirl (Holly Hunter) are forced to assume mundane lives as Bob and Helen Parr after all super-powered ...more
- With a wicked stepmother (Eleanor Audley) and two jealous stepsisters (Rhoda Williams, Lucille Bliss) who keep her enslaved and in rags, Cinderella (Ilene Woods) stands no chance of attending the ...more
- Arcade-game character Wreck-It Ralph (John C. Reilly) is tired of always being the "bad guy" and losing to his "good guy" opponent, Fix-It Felix (Jack McBrayer). Finally, after decades of seeing all ...more