List of the most badass, tough, and iconic comic book superheroes ever created. This list includes central characters from both the DC and Marvel Universe, as well as more non-traditional or underground comic books. The definition of what makes a "superhero" can be quite slippery, and often encompasses characters with questionable morals and behavior (giving rise to the notion of the "anti-hero.") If you love these superheroes, you'll also be interested to know that a few of them have really lame origin stories.
Traditionally, a "superhero" simply means a larger-than-life character, or one gifted with special abilities, either organically or via their own genius or inventiveness, who uses his or her powers to protect and defend the public from threats - at times even while maintaining day jobs. Though the word "superhero" began to be used as early as the 1910s, the concept really took hold in the public's mind following the introduction of Superman in 1938.
Though Superman and other characters of his day were gifted with special talents and abilities, making them particularly suited to crusading for justice, many characters that followed were more "human" than the noble alien from Krypton, using their intelligence (such as Iron Man or Batman) to create a superheroic persona. Some superheroes also have disabilities that counteract their skills, weapons or unique talents.
Because of the massive popularity of superheroes – particularly at the start of the 21st Century, when superhero films reigned at the box office – a number of deconstructions and analyses of the genre have also been done, culminating in the creation of "meta-superheroes" who comment on the concept of superheroism itself. So take a look at this list, decide who your favorite comic book superheroes are, and vote them up. We have your top 50 superheroes, your top 100 superheroes of all time… we don’t quite have your top 200 comic book characters of all time simply because this list is just for the best superheroes ever. We didn’t include the super villains on this top comic book characters list. Who are the top comic book heroes? Who is the best superhero? Let’s put these question to rest of who is the best super heroes to rest.
- Spider-Man is a fictional superhero created by writer-editor Stan Lee and writer-artist Steve... more on Wikipedia46,85919,599
- Batman is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics, as... more on Wikipedia46,92825,405
- Deadpool is a fictional antihero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.... more on Wikipedia27,65414,553
- Thor is a fictional superhero that appears in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.... more on Wikipedia25,34513,704
- Logan is a fictional character from the X-Men series. He is a mutant who possesses animal-keen... more on Wikipedia32,76619,451
- Iron Man is a fictional superhero appearing in comic books and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.... more on Wikipedia29,25716,923
- Captain America is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel... more on Wikipedia27,20516,636
- Doctor Stephen Vincent Strange, best known under his alias Doctor Strange, is a fictional... more on Wikipedia16,6019,071
- The Hulk is a fictional superhero that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The... more on Wikipedia23,80314,634
- Wonder Woman is a fictional superhero who appears in comic books published by DC Comics. The... more on Wikipedia21,66913,649
- The Flash is a fictional superhero who appears in American comic books published by DC Comics.... more on Wikipedia26,76416,640
- Venom, or the Venom Symbiote, is a fictional antihero appearing in American comic books... more on Wikipedia12,5356,625
- Superman is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics, as... more on Wikipedia31,09121,817
- Black Panther is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel... more on Wikipedia15,41710,095
- The Punisher (Francis "Frank" Castle, born Castiglione) is a fictional character appearing in... more on Wikipedia13,6219,619
- Natalia Alianovna Romanova is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books... more on Wikipedia9,0056,285
- Groot is a fictional superhero that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created... more on Wikipedia7,8645,318
- Nightwing is a fictional character in the 2010 animated action thriller film Batman: Under the...15,55311,220
- Ghost Rider is a fictional superhero that appears in American comic books published by Marvel... more on Wikipedia6,1524,407
- Wanda Maximoff is a fictional character, whose code name is Scarlet Witch, in the Marvel... more on Wikipedia7,8105,715
- The Silver Surfer is a fictional superhero appearing in comic books and other publications... more on Wikipedia10,4488,107
- Shazam is a comic book character created by Bill Parker and C. C. Beck for Fawcett Comics. He... more on Wikipedia6,3824,385
- The Thing is a fictional character from the 1951 film The Thing from Another World.881440
- Ant-Man (Scott Lang) is a fictional character, a superhero featured in the American comic... more on Wikipedia3,3862,207
- Star-Lord is a fictional superhero appearing in comic books published by Marvel Comics.... more on Wikipedia7,7636,266