The Harry Potter film series, ranked from best movie to worst. Now that all eight films in the Harry Potter franchise have been released, we can look book on the complete collection to determine which were the best and worst individual films. Most fans agreed that the series got off to a relatively slow start, with the first two entries from director Chris Columbus - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - taking a somewhat juvenile tone. Later films from Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates expanded the mythology of the Potter Universe, took a somewhat darker and more realistic tone and expanded the scope of the films considerably, to great effect.The film series spanned an entire decade; the first entry, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, was released in 2001, and the final film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 arrived exactly 10 years later in 2011. The talents of four directors were involved, with David Yates taking on the bulk of the series, everything from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on. Columbus and Yates are the only two filmmakers to return for more than one Potter film. Nonetheless, the movies' acting cast, writers, and some crew members remained remarkably consistent. Steve Kloves wrote all the Potter films (with assistance from Harry Potter author JK Rowling) except for Order of the Phoenix, which was penned by Michael Goldenberg.
The main cast of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson as Harry, Ron, and Hermione, respectively, are featured in all eight films, as did Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid, Alan Rickman as Professor Snape, Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall, and Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy. Richard Harris portrayed Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore in the first two films, but passed away on October 25, 2002. He was replaced by Michael Gambon in all the films to follow.
Vote for your favorite Harry Potter films or the Harry Potter movies you think are the best made. This list also include the Fantastic Beasts movies, which star Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, and Johnny Depp.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a 2004 fantasy film directed by Alfonso Cuarón and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. The film, which is the third instalment in the Harry Potter film series, was written by Steve Kloves and produced by Chris Columbus, David Heyman, and Mark Radcliffe. The story follows Harry Potter's third year at Hogwarts as he is informed that a prisoner named Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban intending to hunt him down.... more on Wikipedia
2,6231,039Love this movie?
- Released: 2004
- Directed by: Alfonso Cuarón
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a 2011 fantasy film directed by David Yates, based on the novel by J. K. Rowling and the final film in the series. Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint), and Hermione (Emma Watson) search for Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes in their effort to destroy the Dark Lord as the final battle rages on at Hogwarts.... more on Wikipedia
2,227970Love this movie?
- Released: 2011
- Directed by: David Yates
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (released in the United States, India and Pakistan as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) is a 2001 fantasy film directed by Chris Columbus based on J. K. Rowling's 1997 novel of the same name. The film is the first installment of the Harry Potter film series. After discovering he is a famous wizard, Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) begins his education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he meets Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson).... more on Wikipedia
1,999958Love this movie?
- Released: 2001
- Directed by: Chris Columbus
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a 2002 fantasy film directed by Chris Columbus and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. The film, which is the second instalment in the Harry Potter film series, was written by Steve Kloves and produced by David Heyman. The story follows Harry Potter's second year at Hogwarts as the Heir of Salazar Slytherin opens the Chamber of Secrets, unleashing a monster that petrifies the school's denizens. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, alongside Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. It is the sequel to Harry Potter and the... more on Wikipedia
1,937938Love this movie?
- Released: 2002
- Directed by: Chris Columbus