A list of the best graphic novels and collected editions (trade paperbacks). The best graphic novels and collected editions are generally fan favorites and regarded highly by readers and collectors of graphic novels. If you're looking to read graphic novels that will keep your head in the pages long after you've stopped reading, these are some of the greatest graphic novels and collected editions to check out.
This list includes some of the best graphic novels for kids and teens, the top graphic novels for adults, and some collected editions for any age. Some of the greatest graphic novels, like Watchmen, have become some of the best superhero movies and the Hollywood obsession to turn graphic novels and collected editions into franchise movies.For the purposes of this list of the best graphic novels and collected editions, multi-volume works with a clear beginning and end should be treated as one entry. Adaptations should generally be omitted. If you don't see your favorite graphic novel or collected edition on the list, feel free to add more so other collectors and new readers can get dialed in to what you think the top graphic novels are. And once you do add your choice for greatest graphic novel, make sure to vote it up so it gets to the top of the list of the greatest graphic novels and collected editions.
- 1,829462Watchmen is a comic-book limited series written by Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins published by DC Comics in 1986 and 1987, and collected in 1987. Watchmen originated from... more
- 1,551443The Dark Knight Returns is a 1986 four-issue comic book miniseries starring Batman, written by Frank Miller, illustrated by Miller and Klaus Janson, and published by DC Comics. When the series was... more
- 1,115353The Sandman is an American comic book series written by Neil Gaiman and published by DC Comics. Artists include Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, Jill Thompson, Shawn McManus, Marc Hempel, and Michael... more
- 1,089333"Year One", later referred to as "Batman: Year One", is an American comic book story arc written by Frank Miller, illustrated by David Mazzucchelli, colored by Richmond Lewis, and lettered by Todd... more
- 1,369464Batman: The Killing Joke is a 2016 American adult animated superhero thriller film directed by Sam Liu.... more
- 1,069384V for Vendetta is a graphic novel written by Alan Moore and illustrated by David Lloyd, published by Vertigo, an imprint of DC Comics. The story depicts a dystopian and post-apocalyptic near-future... more
- Batman: The Long Halloween is a 13-issue comic book limited series written by Jeph Loeb with art by Tim Sale. It was originally published by DC Comics in 1996 and 1997. It was inspired by the three... more
- 802266Kingdom Come is a four-issue comic book mini-series published in 1996 by DC Comics under their Elseworlds imprint. It was written by Mark Waid and Alex Ross and painted in gouache by Ross, who also... more
- 633230Preacher is a comic book series created by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon, published by the American comic book label Vertigo, with painted covers by Glenn Fabry. The series consists of... more
- 697305Sin City is the title for a series of neo-noir comics by Frank Miller. The first story originally appeared in "Dark Horse Presents Fifth Anniversary Special", and continued in Dark Horse Presents... more
Starcrossed lovers caught in the middle of a galaxy wide war do everything they can to give their daughter a chance to live.
- 541234Y: The Last Man is a dystopian science fiction comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra published by Vertigo beginning in 2002. The series is about the seemingly only man who survives the... more
- 544228All-Star Superman is a direct-to-video animated superhero film based on the acclaimed comic book series of the same name by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. The film is the tenth in the DC Universe... more
- 742245The Complete Maus is a book written by Art Spiegelman.... more
- 512223Marvels is a four-issue limited series comic book written by Kurt Busiek, painted by Alex Ross and edited by Marcus McLaurin, and published by Marvel Comics in 1994. Set from 1939 to 1974, the series... more
- 605280Batman: Arkham City is a five-issue American comic book limited series written by Paul Dini, drawn by Carlos D'Anda and published by DC Comics. It bridges the storylines of Batman: Arkham Asylum and... more
- 520257Superman: Red Son is a three-issue prestige format comic book mini-series published by DC Comics that was released under their Elseworlds imprint in 2003. Author Mark Millar created the comic with... more
- 621340Batman: Hush is a book written by Jim Lee and Jeph Loeb.... more
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a comic book which began in 1999. The series spans two six-issue limited series and a graphic novel from the America's Best Comics imprint of Wildstorm/DC,... more
- Hellboy: Seed of Destruction is the first Hellboy comic book mini-series, published by Dark Horse Comics. It was conceived and illustrated by Mike Mignola and scripted by John Byrne. This was, in... more