These are the best board games ever made, ranked by game aficionados and casual players alike. What are the greatest board games ever? The classic games that have entertained families of players for decades? Or innovative new table-top role-playing games pushing the boundaries between fiction and reality? This list attempts to determine, once and for all, which are the greatest and most fun board games of all time.
A board game here is defined as any game in which pieces are placed on or moved around a flat surface, such as a board. This would include popular centuries-old board games such as Go, Chess, and Checkers, along with more modern games like Settlers of Catan, or even some role-playing games involving game pieces or miniatures. What are the best board games ever? What's the best board game for two people? What's the best board game for groups?
Some games still utilize game pieces but are built more around live interaction or conversation rather than traditional "turn-based" board games. These games – such as Scattergories or Taboo – may not meet the strict definition of a board game, but nonetheless resemble board game-style play and entertainment enough to warrant inclusion.
This list was determined by allowing users to make lists of suggestions for the greatest board games ever, and then holding an open vote on which games were actually the best of all time. Whether you are a hardcore board game geek or just a casual player, your votes count here. Check out all the most popular board games, and don't forget to vote on the best board games on the list already to ensure they rise to the top!
- 9,8623,978Catan, or The Settlers of Catan in older editions, is a multiplayer board game designed by Klaus Teuber and first published in 1995 in Germany by Franckh-Kosmos Verlag as Die Siedler von Catan.... more
- 6,4382,516Ticket to Ride is a railway-themed German-style board game designed by Alan R. Moon and published in 2004 by Days of Wonder. The game is also known as Zug um Zug, Les Aventuriers du Rail, Aventureros... more
- 4,6302,099Pandemic is a cooperative board game designed by Matt Leacock and published by Z-Man Games in 2008. Pandemic is based on the premise that four diseases have broken out in the world, each threatening... more
- 8,5135,624Chess is a two-player strategy board game played on a chessboard, a checkered gameboard with 64 squares arranged in an eight-by-eight grid. It is one of the world's most popular games, played by... more
- 3,1341,625Ticket to Ride Europe takes you on a new train adventure across Europe. From Edinburgh to Constantinople and from Lisbon to Moscow, you'll visit great cities of turn-of-the-century Europe. More than... more
- 3,9442,052Carcassonne is a tile-based German-style board game for two to five players, designed by Klaus-Jürgen Wrede and published in 2000 by Hans im Glück in German and by Rio Grande Games and Z-Man Games in... more
- 3,6652,287Dominion is a deck-building game created by Donald X. Vaccarino and published by Rio Grande Games. Each player uses a separate deck of cards to which only they have access; players draw their hands... more
- 7,3385,271Risk is a strategy board game produced by Parker Brothers. It was invented by French film director Albert Lamorisse and originally released in 1957 as La Conquête du Monde in France. It was later... more
- 2,1431,610Small World is a board game designed by Philippe Keyaerts and published by Days of Wonder in 2009. The game is a reworking of Keyaerts' 1999 game Vinci. Small World has won several awards, including... more
- 2,9241,250Scrabble is a word game in which two to four players score points by placing tiles, each bearing a single letter, onto a gameboard which is divided into a 15×15 grid of squares. The tiles must form... more
- 2,3561,794Axis & Allies is a series of World War II strategy board games, with nearly two million copies printed. Originally designed by Larry Harris and published by Nova Game Designs in 1981, the game was... more
- 1,9651,525Scattergories is a creative-thinking category-based party game produced by Hasbro through the Milton Bradley Company and published in 1988. The objective of the 2-to-6-player game is to score points... more
- 3,5722,952Stratego is a strategy board game for two players on a 10×10 square board. Each player controls 40 pieces representing individual officers and soldiers in an army. The objective of the game is to... more
- 1,9281,624Agricola is a German-style board game created by Uwe Rosenberg, and published by Lookout Games in Europe and Z-Man Games in the US. The goal of the game is to build the most well-balanced farm at the... more
- 1,318718Betrayal at House on the Hill is a board game published by Avalon Hill and designed by Bruce Glassco. Players all begin as allies exploring a haunted house filled with dangers, traps, items and omens.... more
- 2,1991,955Puerto Rico is a German-style board game designed by Andreas Seyfarth, and published in 2002 by Alea in German, by Rio Grande Games in English and by Κάισσα in Greek. Players assume the roles of... more
- 1,8521,449Dixit is a card game created by Jean-Louis Roubira, and published by Libellud. Using a deck of cards illustrated with dreamlike images, players select cards that match a title suggested by the... more
- 4,4332,777Monopoly is a board game published by Parker Brothers, a subsidiary of Hasbro. The game is named after the economic concept of monopoly, the domination of a market by a single entity. Monopoly is a... more
- 1,4651,370Power Grid is the English-language edition of the multiplayer German-style board game Funkenschlag designed by Friedemann Friese. Power Grid is published by Rio Grande Games. In the game, each player... more
- 1,4761,184Mancala is a family of board games played around the world, sometimes called "sowing" games, or "count-and-capture" games, which describes the gameplay. The word mancala comes from the Arabic word... more
- 1,154960Blokus is an abstract strategy board game for two to four players, invented by Case Dekoning and first released in 2000 by Sekkoïa, a French company. It has won several awards, including the Mensa... more
- 3,4433,434The Game of Life, also known simply as LIFE, is a board game originally created in 1860 by Milton Bradley, as The Checkered Game of Life. The Game of Life was America's first popular parlor game. The... more