These are the best board games ever made, ranked by game aficionados and casual players alike. What are the greatest board games ever? The classic games that have entertained families of players for decades? Or innovative new table-top role-playing games pushing the boundaries between fiction and reality? This list attempts to determine, once and for all, which are the greatest and most fun board games of all time.
A board game here is defined as any game in which pieces are placed on or moved around a flat surface, such as a board. This would include popular centuries-old board games such as Go, Chess, and Checkers, along with more modern games like Settlers of Catan, or even some role-playing games involving game pieces or miniatures. What are the best board games ever? What's the best board game for two people? What's the best board game for groups?
Some games still utilize game pieces but are built more around live interaction or conversation rather than traditional "turn-based" board games. These games – such as Scattergories or Taboo – may not meet the strict definition of a board game, but nonetheless resemble board game-style play and entertainment enough to warrant inclusion.
This list was determined by allowing users to make lists of suggestions for the greatest board games ever, and then holding an open vote on which games were actually the best of all time. Whether you are a hardcore board game geek or just a casual player, your votes count here. Check out all the most popular board games, and don't forget to vote on the best board games on the list already to ensure they rise to the top!
- 9,8983,948Catan, or The Settlers of Catan in older editions, is a multiplayer board game designed by... more
- 6,4492,482Ticket to Ride is a railway-themed German-style board game designed by Alan R. Moon and... more
- 4,6352,077Pandemic is a cooperative board game designed by Matt Leacock and published by Z-Man Games in... more
- 4,0041,968Carcassonne is a tile-based German-style board game for two to five players, designed by... more
- 8,5105,649Chess is a two-player strategy board game played on a chessboard, a checkered gameboard with... more
- 3,1401,595Ticket to Ride Europe takes you on a new train adventure across Europe. From Edinburgh to... more
- 3,6682,279Dominion is a deck-building game created by Donald X. Vaccarino and published by Rio Grande... more
- 7,3595,282Risk is a strategy board game produced by Parker Brothers. It was invented by French film... more
- 2,1531,594Small World is a board game designed by Philippe Keyaerts and published by Days of Wonder in... more
- 2,8861,218Scrabble is a word game in which two to four players score points by placing tiles, each... more
- 2,3521,780Axis & Allies is a series of World War II strategy board games, with nearly two million copies... more
- 3,5762,960Stratego is a strategy board game for two players on a 10×10 square board. Each player... more
- 1,9611,516Scattergories is a creative-thinking category-based party game produced by Hasbro through the... more
- 1,309702Betrayal at House on the Hill is a board game published by Avalon Hill and designed by Bruce... more
- 1,9251,620Agricola is a German-style board game created by Uwe Rosenberg, and published by Lookout Games... more
- 1,8651,438Dixit is a card game created by Jean-Louis Roubira, and published by Libellud. Using a deck of... more
- 2,2041,954Puerto Rico is a German-style board game designed by Andreas Seyfarth, and published in 2002... more
- 4,4002,755Monopoly is a board game published by Parker Brothers, a subsidiary of Hasbro. The game is... more
- 1,4691,361Power Grid is the English-language edition of the multiplayer German-style board game... more
- 1,149953Blokus is an abstract strategy board game for two to four players, invented by Case Dekoning... more
- 1,4671,177Mancala is a family of board games played around the world, sometimes called "sowing" games,... more
- 3,4443,436The Game of Life, also known simply as LIFE, is a board game originally created in 1860 by... more