The Best Movies Based On Books
Here is a list of the best movies based off books, voted on by cine-bibliophiles everywhere. Many movies are based off of books but whenever a new movie based on a book comes out there is an endless amount of whining about how Hollywood isn't original and why can't they write their own stories? That's simple, it's because these amazing stories are already written and Hollywood has the means to bring them to life, and sometimes they do it better than even your imagination thought possible (then again, sometimes they simply can't do the original book justice or were later also adapted into TV shows to continue the story or do it better). It's no surprise that popular movies are often inspired by classic literatures and works of art, but which one is the best?
This list looks at the films based on the books - novels, literature, or nonfiction - that made you want to reread the book, started endless "which was better the movie or the book" debates, made you squeal with delight that you pictured it that way in your head, and just blew your frickin' mind.
What are the best movies based on books? Vote on the top movies based on books and share this with your friends to get their opinions, too!
Want to vote on more lists about book adaptations? Check out this list of film franchises based on books, and our roundup of movie adaptations that the book authors loved.
- Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob GuntonRita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption (1982) by Stephen King
- Tom Hanks, David Morse, Michael Clarke DuncanThe Green Mile (1996) by Stephen King
- Elijah Wood, Ian McKellan, Viggo MortensenThe Fellowship of the Ring (1954) by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Scott GlennThe Silence of the Lambs (1988) by Thomas Harris
- Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph FiennesSchindler's Ark (1982) by Thomas Keneally
- Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey FeldmanThe Body (1982) by Stephen King