Here is a list of the best sci-fi shows and best sci-fi series of all time, as ranked by hundreds of Ranker voters. This list includes long-running sci-fi TV shows like Doctor Who as well as some of the best canceled shows of the genre. Science fiction TV shows have been around for decades, and some of the longest running shows have fallen into this category. Popular shows such as Star Trek have enjoyed several incarnations, and fan-favorite shows like Firefly and The X-Files have made the crossover from TV to the big screen.
Thanks to networks like SyFy, FX, and The CW, new sci-fi TV shows premiere every year. Sci-fi series like The Expanse, Orphan Black, and The 100 continue to raise viewership ratings and grow fan bases. Netflix has also contributed to the science fiction genre with their original series Stranger Things, which was met with rave reviews.
Vote for your favorite science fiction shows to move them to the top of the list, or press re-rank to create your own list of your favorite science fiction series. Be sure to stop by to vote on the best British sitcoms and best current TV shows airing right now.
Are you a sci-fi fan? Check out this list of current sci-fi shows to watch.
- Firefly (Fox, 2002) is an American space western science fiction drama television series created by writer and director Joss Whedon. Set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star ...more
- The crew of the starship USS Enterprise explores the galaxy and fosters peace in the 24th century.
- This update of the late-1970s series takes a decidedly darker tone as what's left of humankind struggles for survival against the robot Cylons, who have killed millions. The Galactica, led by William ...more
- A team searches for clues to save the Earth from imminent destruction.
- The iconic series "Star Trek" follows the crew of the starship USS Enterprise as it completes its missions in space in the 23rd century. Captain James T. Kirk -- along with half- human/half-Vulcan ...more
- Doctor Who (BBC, 2005) is a British science-fiction television show created by Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, and Donald Wilson. The further adventures in time and space of the alien adventurer known ...more
- The X-Files (Fox, 1993) is an American science fiction horror drama television series created by Chris Carter. The series revolves around FBI special agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully investigating ...more
- "The Twilight Zone" was the brainchild of Emmy Award-winner Rod Serling, who served as host and wrote over 80 episodes of the original show's 150-plus episode run. It's a strange mix of horror, ...more
- The Expanse (Syfy, 2015) is an American science fiction television series developed by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, based on the novels by James S. A. Corey. In a future where humanity has colonized ...more
- A stalwart crew commands a space station located near a gateway to the far reaches of space.
- Star Trek: Voyager (UPN, 1995) is a science fiction television series created by Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor, and is the fifth incarnation of Star Trek series created by Gene ...more
- American astronaut John Crichton finds himself thrown across the universe when an experimental mission goes bad. Crichton teams up with a group of rebels involved in an intergalactic battle and ...more
- Capt. Jonathan Archer commands a starship at the dawn of humanity's exploration of deep space.
- Fringe (Fox, 2008) is an American science fiction television series created by J. J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman, and Roberto Orci. An F.B.I. agent (Anna Torv) is forced to work with an institutionalized ...more
- Stranger Things (Netflix, 2016) is an American science fiction-horror web television series created by The Duffer Brothers. When a young boy (Noah Schnapp) disappears, his mother (Winona Ryder), a ...more
- Babylon 5 (Syndicated, 1994) is an American space opera television series created by writer and producer J. Michael Straczynski. The series takes place on five-mile long space station, Babylon 5, ...more
- Former scientist Sam Beckett finds himself trapped in time due to an experiment gone awry, leaping into the body of a different person each week. Al Calavicci, at first known only as The Observer, is ...more
- Accidentally frozen, pizza-deliverer Fry wakes up 1,000 years in the future. He is taken in by his sole descendant, an elderly and addled scientist who owns a small cargo delivery service. Among the ...more
- Good battles evil in outer space.
- Following an abrupt transfer, Secret Service agents Pete Lattimer and Myka Bering find themselves in the middle of South Dakota at a massive, top-secret storage warehouse that holds every strange ...more
- Eureka (Syfy, 2006) is an American science fiction television series created by Andrew Cosby and Jaime Paglia. A U.S. Marshall (Colin Ferguson) becomes the sheriff of a remote cozy little Oregon town ...more
- Resistance fighters battle the aliens who control Earth.
- In this space spoof, Dave Lister (a chicken-soup-machine repairman) is a survivor of a radiation leak on his mining space ship. The problem is that he is the only survivor. But wait ... it gets ...more
- This series is set inside a branch of a covert agency called the Torchwood Institute, where dashing commander in chief Capt. Jack Harkness leads Torchwood Three, an ace team of experts, as it ...more