This list of the best TV shows of the past 20 years represents the combined opinions of thousands of TV fans on what series have been the standouts of the past two decades. Anyone can vote on this list of the best TV shows of recent memory, making this list a truly trustworthy way to find the best recent(ish) TV show.
Including recent big-name shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, the best TV shows ever in the past 20 years feature the latest and greatest television series. Even older shows like Friends and That '70s Show have episodes that aired in the past two decades so there really is a wonderfully wide selection of great shows in recent memory. From sitcoms to dramas and animations to miniseries, this list has got them all.
What are the best TV shows of recent memory? Whether you're looking for the best TV shows to add to your Netflix queue or you just want to share your picks for the best TV series of the last two decades, this is the place to tune in to the tastes of TV fans around the world. Figure out what must-see TV you have to catch up on, find where your favorites rank, and cast your votes for the best television in recent history.
- Mysteries unravel in a small Midwestern town involving supernatural forces.
- Noble families in the seven kingdoms of Westeros vie for control of the Iron Throne.
- A high-school chemistry teacher has a midlife crisis.
- After the fall of the Galactic Empire, a lone gunfighter makes his way through the lawless galaxy.
- Two brothers battle evil forces.
- A contemporary spin on the novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring the peerless Sherlock Holmes.
- Workers plod along at Dunder Mifflin's paper-supply company.
- A brilliant and acerbic diagnostician leads a team of specialists.
- An outlaw motorcycle club is intent on protecting its sheltered California town.
- Accidentally frozen, a pizza delivery boy wakes up 1,000 years in the future.
- In the years following a zombie apocalypse, survivors seek refuge in a world overrun by the dead.
- Tony Soprano tries to be a good family man and run the New Jersey mob.
- A free-spirited beauty moves in next door to two physicists.
- The adventures of four boys who live in South Park, Colo.
- The story of Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army.
- The adventures of an eccentric family living in New England.
- A close-knit group of young, eclectic friends approaches adulthood.
- A doctor works at a hospital with unpredictable staffers and patients.
- A forensics analyst moonlights as a serial killer.
- Six friends living in New York hang out at a coffee bar.
- Prompted by ideas from the audience, comics improvise sketches.
- The adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok as he rises to become King of the Viking tribes.
- Homer and Marge Simpson raise Bart, Lisa and baby Maggie in Springfield.
- FBI special agents probe cases involving phenomena that defy conventional explanations.
- Through a series of flashbacks, Ted tells his kids how he met their mother.