This is a list of the most influential people of all of human history. This means that the individuals on this list have had a significant effect on how regular people live their lives today and have had a large impact on how modern society works. The names on this list include iconic religious figures, recognizable scientists and inventors, and some of the most powerful important leaders in world history. Vote for your top choices and re-rank this list your way.
What makes an individual worthy of a spot on a list of the most influential people ever? Certainly, some of the greatest minds of all time deserve to be ranked highly. Examples include Leonardo da Vinci, Sir Isaac Newton, and certainly Albert Einstein. Each one of these incredible and inspirational people used the power of their minds to change the world. Not surprisingly, several names on this list are also among the most famous role models we'd like to meet in person.
Featuring historical figures, interesting men, and impactful people, this list of the world's most legendary figures have had all kinds of effects on the biggest and historic events.
And modern-era figures also deserve to be listed here. Can anyone argue that Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg aren't among the most influential contemporary Americans? It's time to add your opinions on who you believe are the most influential people in history, with your votes and your rankings.
- 57,44234,905Jesus (c. 4 BC – c. AD 30 / 33), also referred to as Jesus of Nazareth and Jesus Christ, was a... more
- 31,09720,243Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci was an Italian polymath, painter, sculptor, architect,... more
- 20,71113,356Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer,... more
- 11,9157,632Marie Skłodowska Curie ( KEWR-ee, French: [kyʁi], Polish: [kʲiˈri]; born Maria Salomea... more
- 36,92525,412Albert Einstein ( EYEN-styne; German: [ˈalbɛɐ̯t ˈʔaɪnʃtaɪn] (listen); 14 March 1879 – 18 April... more
- 21,50314,598Moses () was a prophet according to the teachings of the Abrahamic religions. Scholarly... more
- 26,19717,717Martin Luther King Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968) was an American Baptist minister and... more
- 22,80715,503Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865) was an American statesman and lawyer who... more
- 15,43710,710Gaius Julius Caesar (12 July 100 BC – 15 March 44 BC) was a Roman general and statesman who... more
- 32,31222,547Sir Isaac Newton (25 December 1642 – 20 March 1726/27) was an English mathematician,... more
- 18,67713,213Socrates (; Ancient Greek: Σωκρᾰ́της, romanized: Sōkrátēs, [sɔːkrátɛːs]; c. 470 – 399 BC) was... more
- 48,13834,341Muhammad (Arabic: مُحمّد, pronounced [muħammad]; c. 570 CE – 8 June 632 CE) was an Arab... more
- 23,45416,514Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (; 2 October 1869 – 30 January 1948) was an Indian lawyer,... more
- 9,3316,437The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American brothers, inventors, and aviation... more
- 21,66015,539Galileo Galilei ( GAL-il-AY-oh, also US: -EE-oh, Italian: [ɡaliˈlɛːo ɡaliˈlɛi]; 15 February... more
- 355137John the Baptist (Hebrew: יוחנן המטביל Yokhanan HaMatbil, Ancient Greek: Ἰωάννης ὁ βαπτιστής,... more
- 10,7707,593Benjamin Franklin (January 17, 1706 [O.S. January 6, 1705] – April 17, 1790) was an American... more
- 12,7219,145Genghis Khan (born Temüjin, c. 1162 – August 18, 1227) was the founder and first Great Khan... more
- 8,7656,198Ludwig van Beethoven ( (listen); German: [ˈluːtvɪç fan ˈbeːthoːfn̩] (listen); baptised 17... more
- 6,1314,403Archimedes of Syracuse (; Greek: Ἀρχιμήδης; c. 287 – c. 212 BC) was a Greek mathematician,... more
- 16,24212,000George Washington was the first President of the United States, the Commander-in-Chief of the... more
- 8,1386,028Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, commonly known as Michelangelo, was an Italian... more
- 9,3247,051Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965) was a British... more
- 12,7779,595Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (; Xhosa: [xolíɬaɬa mandɛ̂ːla]; 18 July 1918 – 5 December 2013) was... more
- 15,84312,248Siddhārtha Gautama (Sanskrit: सिद्धार्थ गौतम Siddhāṛtha Gautama, c. 563/480 – c. 483/400 BCE)... more