Marvel Comics is one of the two mainstream comic distributors in the world (the other being DC Comics). They publish dozens of titles and have invented thousands of characters. Recently, Marvel has formed its own film studio and rebranded themselves as a major player in all forms of the entertainment industry, reacquiring characters they had sold off and building an entire self-sustained film universe. But everyone makes mistakes. Though Marvel has produced awesome films, the movies on this list are the top-20 worst Marvel movies.
This list largely encompasses those Marvel characters and worlds that Marvel Studios hasn't been able to buy back, or those films made before Marvel came roaring back and took over. These are the ugly stepchildren of a mighty empire and proof that nothing in this world is perfect.
Cast your votes below for which of these 20 worst Marvel films really are the most horribly bad, and see how the Marvel films you think are most terrible rank.
- Captain America II: Death Too Soon is an 1979 television film based on the Marvel Comics character Captain America, directed by Ivan Nagy and starring Reb Brown. The film was preceded by Captain America earlier the same year. It was aired on CBS in two one-hour slots. The first part aired on November 23, 1979 and the second aired the next night, leading into the conclusion of Salem's Lot.... more
1,542537Is this the worst?
- Actors: Connie Sellecca, Reb Brown
- Released: 1979
- Directed by: Ivan Nagy
- Captain America is a 1990 direct-to-video American-Yugoslavian superhero film directed by Albert Pyun. The film is based on the Marvel Comics superhero of the same name. While the film takes several liberties with the comic's storyline, it features Steve Rogers becoming Captain America during WWII to battle the Red Skull, being frozen in ice, and subsequently being revived to save the President of the United States from a family that dislikes his environmentalist policies.... more
1,844661Is this the worst?
- Actors: Ned Beatty, Darren McGavin, Francesca Neri, Melinda Dillon, Michael Nouri
- Released: 1990
- Directed by: Albert Pyun
- Captain America is an 1979 television film loosely based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, directed by Rod Holcomb and starring Reb Brown. The film was followed by the sequel Captain America II: Death Too Soon, also released in the same year.... more
1,446573Is this the worst?
- Actors: Steve Forrest, Heather Menzies, Lance LeGault, Joseph Ruskin, Frank Marth
- Released: 1979
- Directed by: Rod Holcomb
- Dr. Strange is a 1978 television film based on the Marvel Comics fictional character Dr. Strange, created by Steve Ditko. Philip DeGuere directed the film and wrote it specifically for television, joining forces with Alex Beaton and Gregory Hoblit to produce it. Stan Lee served as a consultant on the film, which was created as a pilot for a proposed TV series. The movie aired on September 6, 1978 in a two-hour block from 8pm to 10pm on CBS, the same network that at that time aired The Amazing Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk. Unfortunately for DeGuere, CBS did not pick up Dr. Strange as a series.... more
1,150460Is this the worst?
- Actors: Jessica Walter, Clyde Kusatsu, Anne-Marie Martin, Peter Hooten
- Released: 1978
- Directed by: Philip DeGuere