While film releases this year have been unsteady, there are still many great movies competing for Best Picture at the 2021 Oscars. From powerful biopics to captivating dramas, the best film nominees feature the best movies of the year.
From Chloé Zhao's creative triumph with the compelling and raw story of Nomadland to David Fincher's nostalgic retelling of screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz's journey developing a cinematic masterpiece in Mank, these are the films that have many buzzing about award season. Other best picture nominees include The Trial of the Chicago 7, Minari, Judas and the Black Messiah, and The Father.
Make your 2021 Oscars predictions by voting up the nominees you think will win, and don't miss the 93rd Academy Awards on Sunday, April 25, 2021.
- Photo: A24/Plan B EntertainmentMinari is a 2020 American drama film directed by Lee Isaac Chung. A Korean-American family that moves to an Arkansas farm in the 1980s has their life completely changed when their foul-mouthed, sly, and incredibly loving grandmother arrives.... more
- Actors: Steven Yeun, Yeri Han, Yuh-Jung Youn
- Directed by: Lee Isaac Chung
- Photo: Focus FeaturesPromising Young Woman is a 2020 American black comedy thriller film directed by Emerald Fennell. After a mysterious traumatic event, a cunning, young woman named Cassie (Carey Mulligan) lives a secret double life at night, seeking out vengeance against those who wronged her.... more
- Actors: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie
- Directed by: Emerald Fennell
- Photo: Searchlight Pictures
Chloé Zhao's Nomadland won the Academy Award for Best Picture.Nomadland is a 2020 American drama film directed by Chloé Zhao, based on the 2017 non-fiction book Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder. After losing everything in the Great Recession, Fern (Frances McDormand), a woman in her sixties, embarks on a journey through the American West as a van-dwelling modern-day nomad.... more
- Actors: Frances McDormand, Gay DeForest, Patricia Grier
- Directed by: Chloé Zhao
- Photo: NetflixThe Trial of the Chicago 7 is a 2020 American crime drama film written and directed by Aaron Sorkin, based on a true story. Following the events of the 1968 Democratic National Convention, seven defendants are charged with conspiracy, inciting a riot, and other charged related to their anti-Vietnam War and countercultural protests that took place in Chicago, Illinois.... more
- Actors: Sacha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Jeremy Strong, Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Directed by: Aaron Sorkin