Recent Hollywood deaths are never easy, especially when a particularly iconic actor or actress passes. When you see headlines regarding famous people that died today, you may find yourself devastated if you see the name of one of your favorites. It can be jarring to find out about an actor or actress's death in an unexpected fashion.
If you're having trouble tracking all the Hollywood deaths of 2018, this list has you covered. It is a comprehensive list of all the recent actress and actors who died in 2018. Instead of googling "recent actor deaths" or "actors deaths today," you can browse this list to stay up to date on who died this year.
- Photo: Gabriel Olsen / Getty Images
After a battle with diabetes-related complications, Penny Marshall passed away on December 17, 2018. She was 75. Marshall is best known for her role as Laverne on the hit sitcom Laverne & Shirley, but she also starred in and directed a broad range of productions, including A League of Their Own and Big.
- Birthplace: New York City, USA, New York
- Profession: Television director, Television producer, Film Producer, Actor, Film Director
- Credits: Laverne & Shirley, The Hard Way, Alice Upside Down, Big
Beloved magician and actor Ricky Jay passed away on December 1, 2018 at the age of 72. While he may have been best known for his magic tricks, Jay also appeared in over 40 movies and television shows, including Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Tomorrow Never Dies.
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Screenwriter, Author, Actor, Voice acting, Writer
- Credits: Boogie Nights, The Prestige, Deadwood, Magnolia, The Illusionist
- Photo: flickr / CC0
Actress Kim Porter, who shares three children with rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs, was found unresponsive in her home on November 15, 2018 and pronounced dead at the scene. She was 47. At the time of reports, no cause of death had been determined.
- Birthplace: Columbus, GA
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: The Brothers, Mama, I Want to Sing!, Wicked Wicked Games
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BY
James Karen, who was best known for his role of Frank on The Return of the Living Dead passed away on October 23, 2018. He was 94.
In addition to his aforementioned role of Frank, Karen also made numerous appearances in a range of horror films, including Poltergeist, Invaders from Mars, and Piranha. With a career spanning decades, the beloved actor made well over 200 appearances throughout television and film.
- Birthplace: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: Poltergeist, Superman Returns, All the President's Men, Mulholland Drive, Any Given Sunday