One of the most famous stories about how a famous actor got discovered or landed their first break is the one about Lana Turner supposedly being spotted sitting on a stool at Schwab's drugstore. And while that story may not actually be true (instead, she supposedly was discovered at a malt shop across from Hollywood High School), it still illustrates the idea being in the right place at the right time can propel an actor's career. Even if, in some cases, the person may not have even been thinking of becoming an actor at the time of the lucky break.
From being spotted drunkenly dancing in a store to arguing with a bank teller to getting a call out of the blue from a famous actor who was a fan of their previous work, each of the actors listed below either was "discovered" or got an early break in their career in an unusual way.
- 1824 VOTESPhoto: On a Clear Day You Can See Forever / Paramount Pictures
- 2652 VOTESPhoto: 2 Days in the Valley / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
- 3720 VOTESPhoto: American Graffiti / Universal Pictures
- 4578 VOTESPhoto: Raging Bull / United Artists
- Photo: Winter's Bone / Roadside Attractions
- 6380 VOTESPhoto: Queer as Folk / Channel 4