There are several famous actors who have played Julius Caesar in movies and on television - and not just in adaptations of the Shakespearean play. Many of the Julius Caesar actors have strong theatre backgrounds and are no doubt familiar with the character from the play - but no film adaptations of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar are listed here.
Instead, these are portrayals of Caesar in historical dramas and action shows. Some of the best Julius Caesar actors earned Academy Award nominations for their dramatic turns as the emperor on film. Others brought humor or quirkiness to the role in a Julius Caesar TV series.
Jeremy Sisto played Julius Caesar in the 2003 mini-series, Julius Caesar. Richard Harris and Christopher Walken were also members of the cast. Rex Harrison was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Julius Caesar in the 1963 film, Cleopatra. The Emperor of Rome has even made an appearance in shows like Spartacus, Xena: Warrior Princess, and the Julius Caesar Rome HBO series.
So, who are the actors who played Julius Caesar? Find out below. And don’t forget to give the best Caesar actors a “pollice verso” (the "turned thumb" from gladiatorial combat) and vote your favorite portrayals up.
- Photo: Rome / HBO/BBC Two/Rai 2
Ciaran Hinds played Gaius Julius Caesar on Rome, which aired on HBO from 2005-2007. He later appeared on the cable network's mega-hit Game of Thrones.
9524Did this depiction conquer?
- Age: 62
- Birthplace: Belfast, United Kingdom
- Photo: Cleopatra (1963) / Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation
Rex Harrison was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Julius Caesar in the 1963 film, Cleopatra.
526Did this depiction conquer?
- Age: Dec. at 82 (1908-1990)
- Birthplace: Huyton, United Kingdom
- Photo: Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire / British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
Sean Pertwee played Julius Caesar in 2006 docu-series, Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire.
2712Did this depiction conquer?
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: London, United Kingdom
- Photo: Empire / Storyline Entertainment/Touchstone Television/Buena Vista Television
Colm Feore played Julius Caeasar on the 2005 mini-series, Empire. Emily Blunt and Fiona Shaw were among his co-stars.
227Did this depiction conquer?
- Age: 62
- Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America